News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Crap Flies

Started by Malcolm, December 17, 2007, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gander

Dabblers - Can't do a thing with them.  :(

zeolite

The worst flies are the ones that don't get wet. I have lots of those unfortunately.  :(
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

.D.

DHE

C'mon, let's stop pretendin.....! :biglaugh;

.D.

haresear

Quoteyellow sally has anybody ever caught a fish on that

I've had lots of fish from lochs on the yellow sally in Sutherland around the end of May. I remember one day in particular when at Kinbrace and the wind dropped, the sun came out and the sallies started hatching. The trout went crazy for them.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteJammy bugger! breac uaig

I think the wind only dropped once all week. We had no drogue and a very dodgy outboard which I eventually beat to death with a hammer in retaliation for nearly killing us a few times over the years, notably on lochs Rimsdale and Sionascaig.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteMost flies ive seen called yellow sally are fully hackled  dries which look more likely they were made to imitate the yellow Maydun rather than the yellow sally which is a stonefly

A good point Col. The fly I was referring to is the yellow stonefly, although I've caught fish (not many) on yellow May duns too and I know Buzz did well with them this year.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I have seen decent  hatches of yellow may duns on the  Don but nothing taking them (nothing new there then)  also saw a few  on the Tirry last season that were being taken. I had heard that fish often refuse these. Anyone else have any experience of this?

.D.

Quote from: admin on December 22, 2007, 10:12:36 PM
............ I had heard that fish often refuse these. Anyone else have any experience of this?

I have seen them pass unmolested - but they're so easy (for us) to see. On a lot of waters they aren't hugely abundant, or at least don't offer a big hatch ( though I gather this is not the case on the Clyde, for example). So, if there's just the odd one coming off, and they're so conspicuous to us it isn't that surprising that they've been accorded that reputation. Even if it isn't valid. I think it's a bit of a clich?. Why wouldn't fish eat them - the same waters invariably support Yellow Sallies too: so it cannot be a colour thing.

The other thing is, they're reputed (at least in part) to moult into duns beneath the water. That may also add to their reputation for limited surface sport.

.D.

haresear

QuoteThe other thing is, they're reputed (at least in part) to moult into duns beneath the water. That may also add to their reputation for limited surface sport.

I had read that too and assumed that the trout don't switch on to them as they are not on the water for long, but who knows?

I remember one day getting a couple of Clyde fish which were positively targetting the YMD. The funny thing is, these two fish seemed to be ignoring all the other flies which their pals in the same run were feasting on, whilst their pals were on the medium olives or whatever and ignoring the YMD :? As Bob Wyatt would say, "Go figure".

It just goes to show I suppose, that not all of the fish are feeding on the same stuff and that if we use our powers of observation we have a better chance of catching those fish.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on December 22, 2007, 06:08:54 PM
DHE
C'mon, let's stop pretendin.....! :biglaugh;

I seem to remember that one of Bob's plus points for this fly was that it was easier to tie than Klinks or other parachutes. I have to say that after a bit of practice I don't find that tying a Klink is any more difficult than tying a DHE and poorly tied  Klink is more likely to fish the right way up than a  poorly tied DHE.

Go To Front Page