News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Who Invented The Buzzer?

Started by Wildfisher, January 18, 2008, 07:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

It looks like it. The cover picture is the same.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

What seems to be coming across here is  the buzzer may be  old enough to be "traditional"

Oh dear!     :worms

:biglaugh;

superscot

This to remind those who visit the chippie in Dunkeld !!!!! really must make a point of going there ! so we are told by the lads on this forum ???  :makefun  :makefun

Highlander

I was always under the impression it was Dr Bell that coined the name. His Buzzer Nymph was the first time I had heard the name Buzzer used. Still there may be others that predate this but I have not heard of them. Always thought that is was the Blagdon Midge.......but I bow to others if there was a Blagdon Buzzzer that predates Dr Bell. Bell was the first to use a tuft of wool to imitate beathing filaments if I remember correctly though.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

Maybe's Aye Maybe's naw

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I've lost the thread here. What really  :shock:worries me is that I fancy the sexy smiley something awful

alex
Protect the edge.

scotfly

And going back to Fred's original post in his inspirational roller coaster ride of discovery.....
The first "buzzer" hmm, how about  Stewart's Black Spider or the Blae and Black or the Butcher or the Black Pennel or the Silver Saltoun or the .........   

Wildfisher

Dennis,

I mean the first purpose designed buzzer rather than a general pattern.  What we might now call a traditional buzzer  :hippy

.D.

Quote from: haresear on January 19, 2008, 03:38:19 AM
I've lost the thread here. What really  :shock:worries me is that I fancy the sexy smiley something awful

alex

Me too!   :worms Phwoarrr...............

Where does Dr Mottram fit into this? I've read that he was accredited with the first "buzzer" pupa.

.D.

Malcolm

I think Mottram designed the blagdon green midge but I that's an adult imitation? Before that Alfred Ronalds designed a midge pattern I think called the golden midge or maybe the golden dun midge. As well as the Blae and black there must be some very old patterns of Duck Fly. However I can't think of any midge pupae tyings before the Bell version. Come to think of it There must have been very few patterns in what we regard as the classic "nymph" form before then. I wonder if Skues tied anything like it?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page