News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Who Invented The Buzzer?

Started by Wildfisher, January 18, 2008, 07:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteHey Fred where did you get the Kylie smilie?

Is it not a Carol Smillie :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Tokely

The buzzer was invented by Dr.H.A Bell in the early 1920's when he came back from WW1 and fished a place called Blagdon, his patterns where used with little change until the 70's, a guy called Martin Blakeston, who as far as I know was the first to use pearlescent materials with his Blakeston's buzzer.

Who was the first person to tie a Diawl Bach ?? I've read it was either Jimmy Evans, Albert Horne or Glyn Isaac back in the 50's ?? can anyone shed any light ??

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan Liddle on January 20, 2008, 08:42:37 PM
if you consider a Stewarts spider fished on a 'Greased Line' right up in the surface, or even the fly itself greased then as it has no tail then would it not have sat arse down with the hackle lying across the surface as a parachute style does

Or indeed with the body sunk, emerger style. Bob Wyatt once mentioned this and reckoned  that "dries" like the grey duster often  fish like this and that may indeed be what makes them great patterns. His point was many anglers may  have been fishing sunk bodied  emergers for years without  even realising it.

Fishtales

Leckford Professor or Cow's Arse devised by Ernest Mott, a test river keeper. Fishes like a parachute fly with the body under water. A mate of mine caught quite a few Grayling on the Earn with one.

HOOK :  12-14

BODY :   Dark hare's ear

RIB :   Fine flat gold tinsel

HACKLES :   A bright red cock and a white hackle tied in at the rear of the shank, hiding the point of the hook.

This is a picture of it from fish4flies http://www.fish4flies.com/

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Alan,

If you mean this style of dressing, I've got a box full of them. I put one in a fly swap on the forum and Alex and I had a brief discussion about where the style came from. I first came accross the style nearly 30 years ago. It works well at times and always floats tail down in the water.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotfly

Quote from: fishtales on January 20, 2008, 09:16:28 PM
Leckford Professor or Cow's Arse devised by Ernest Mott, a test river keeper. Fishes like a parachute fly with the body under water.

Funnily enough I was discussing that fly and Terry Griffiths' letter in FF&FT today with Roy Christie, Terry wrongly tried to liken it to Roy's Avon Specials.
Apart from the fact that it doesn't fish inverse like Roy's, we both agreed that it would be almost impossible to get it to swim with the body hanging vertically. There is too much hackle and the dubbing is too spiky. It may sit in the surface film, but is highly unlikely to hang vertical.
That's not to say that the Leckford Professor isn't a very good emerger type fly.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan Liddle on January 20, 2008, 10:18:12 PM
Maybe start a new thread for this Fred as it might hijack this a wee bit.  Not really to do with buzzers?

OK, can you start it?

.D.

Quote from: Malcolm on January 20, 2008, 10:07:16 PM
Alan,

If you mean this style of dressing, I've got a box full of them. I put one in a fly swap on the forum and Alex and I had a brief discussion about where the style came from. I first came accross the style nearly 30 years ago. It works well at times and always floats tail down in the water.

I've used the same style of fly myself. Usually a Grey Duster with a single "advanced wing" of natural or dyed yellow squirrel tail. Works OK if the body is dubbed fairly tight ( with rabbit body fur, as a Grey Duster should be tied). And why shouldn't it? ; that's how a Grey Duster floats much of the time. Smooth bodies , as in your image, hang vertically more consistently though.

Cheers,

.D.

.D.

The American tyer Scott Sanchez also ties a pattern with the same profile: his Parachute Midge Emerger. It too is designed to fish with the body submerged. It's in the "Emergers" book. And in his own book, " A New Generation of Trout Flies" :| .

.D.

.D.

Quote from: admin on January 20, 2008, 09:01:16 PM
Or indeed with the body sunk, emerger style. Bob Wyatt once mentioned this and reckoned  that "dries" like the grey duster often  fish like this and that may indeed be what makes them great patterns. His point was many anglers may  have been fishing sunk bodied  emergers for years without  even realising it.

"Max Joset tied the original Moustiques with a collar hackle of CDC feathers and a body of silk. In Marc Petitjean's view these archtypal CDC  flies were used as dry flies fished in the surface film. With their floating CDC hackles and sinking bodies, they give a good impression of emerging insects" Tying Flies with CDC ; The Fisherman's Miracle Feather. Leon Links 2002

Yet another example.

.D.

Go To Front Page