News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

For 3 flies only!

Started by Jemhill, January 31, 2008, 10:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemhill

Hi all

If you only had 3 flies in your box (2 droppers and a point) what would they be?

Mine are: claret bumble on top dropper - Blue Zulu on middle and Black Pennel on the point.

drumgerry

Well if they dinnae just have to be wets or loch flies my top three would be Klinkhamer Special (original pattern), Deer Hair Emerger and Allan's Bibio Emerger.  Can you tell I'm a convert to fishing dries in the surface?!

Cheers

Gerry

sandyborthwick

Machair Claret(bob), Clan Chief(Dropper), and Hares Ear(weighted)(Point).

Good starting combination with a wave on the Loch(which is invariably the case when fishing the Islands).

Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

Interesting Fachan - I think Nant Fisher expressed similar sentiments - looks like Bibios all round when we go fishing on Loch Nant then. BTW have you managed to meet up with Nant fisher for a cast or two as I know Robbies keen to get a wee get together in your neck of the woods.

Sandy B.O.

paulr

Pearly Pennell on the point.
Bibio on the dropper.
Green Tailed Kate on the bob

Paul

RichardL

Kate mclaren on bob
Black Pennel on dropper
Irish wolf on Point

Richard

Jemhill

Very interesting so far! Bibio is a cracker - may change that for the zulu. Liked what drumgerry was saying - never really tried 3 dries at once! Strange thing is that when I fish for trout down south I almost always use dries - no idea why I dont when on the lochs!

drumgerry

He he - I didn't mean all three at once!  Just thought of your question as a "top three" type thing!

Cheers

Gerry  :lol:

haresear

assuming we are talking about lochs, I only fish two flies at a time when fishing wet fly.

I'll still pick three...

Hare and copper nymph
medium olive spider
a no -name thing (not unlike a march brown spider with a black hacle wound through the partridge and a copper rib)

Alex
Protect the edge.

greenwell

Assuming this is a loch selection, my three highwaymen would be a Kate MacLaren on the top, Blae and Black in the middle and an Alexandra, tied on a wee double,  bringing up the rear.
                        Absolute 100% faith in this line up from opening to closing day, morning, noon and night. Just vary the sizes and the bulk/ slimness of the dressing. The other 800+ flies that I carry around are just my reserves. Strangely, if I didn't carry the other flies I'd be always wondering what if, what if, what if. But as I always do take them along I'm quite happy to fish with my  outlined choice above, without any creeping doubts when the fishing is slow. Aye, psychology has a lot to answer for in fly fishing and fly choice.

Greenwell 

Go To Front Page