News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tying CDC Bodies and Legs

Started by Wildfisher, February 17, 2008, 09:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Tying CDC  bodies and legs in the style of Hans Weilenmann's   CDC elk caddis. I just cannot get the leg effect right at all.

Looks like a job for Super-Den.  How about it Dennis, a step by step that shows how to do this properly?

scotfly

Afraid I couldn't improve on Hans' own step by step, including video, Fred.
http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

Wildfisher

thanks for the link Dennis, that'll do nicely

Wildfisher

Have looked at Hans Weilenmann's  site. I think the problem is I'm not using a "type one" CDC feather

Wildfisher

I like the look of that fly Col, have you had success with it? He's a great tier  is Hans Weilenmann and helpful too. He sent me some great pics of Wyatts DHE when it was featured in Fish Wild

Malcolm

Thanks for the link. I've been tying it wrongly. The version I was using had a palmered CDC hackle although everything else is identical. Great fly even when corrupted.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

The General

Probably the best fly you will ever use

No kidding

Davie

shanksi

Going to tie a few up again this year.  Have to check have right kind of deer hair as well.  This fly tying isnae half complicated. :D
Biggest problem I have is stopping the deer hair flaring too much but have recently bought the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference book so will have a search through it for hints.

shanksi

The General

The secret Ian is line up your deer hair in stacker.  Line up points with hook bend and do one loose loop over the end of the
deer hair and when your second loop is just coming back up from under the hook, pull it upwards very tightly and do one more
tight loop over the deer hair, then chop the deer hair just in front of the eye and take the thread thru the butts at a half way
point then lift the butts and tie in a tight loop again before whip finishing.  It is honestly not difficult.

Davie

I will post a photie of the last one I used.

The General

Please excuse the quick fotie, couldnt find my tripod and the lights not right.  The body is actually natural cdc, more a greyey brown colour.   This was what remained after eleven fish so I wouldnt exactly say the tying has to that scientific.  Someone
posted a link to this fly last year and I tied it (might have been Tradionalist) I have never blanked with this fly.  It is my first
line of attack and certainly my last as the light fades.   Hope your no going to be fishing the same lochs as me know you
know the big secret.  I had to laff when you asked for the best three flies if you were restricted to only those and I was
gonna post  CDC/Elk  CDC/Elk  CDC/Elk.  When the fish were immediately on this fly I then experimented with different colours
but where I fish the biggest taker is the natural without a doubt.  It is remarkable how visible this fly becomes on water.
I have never tied bigger than a 14 and that and a sixteen look like a beacon.   I tried it on the Ness but I suffered from
too fast a flow and couldnt quite manage to keep up with the river when casting upstream but still managed five wee trouts
and just as I was about to retrieve it at the end of a flow I got a massive take but I managed to pull the hook out of the
fishes mouth it had taken me completely by surprise.   Best of luck with it am looking forward to your responses a bit later
in the season

Davie

Go To Front Page