News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

GSP/ Uni-cord thread

Started by deergravy, February 15, 2008, 10:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deergravy

I use this for nearly all my tying, certainly in smaller sizes, I think it's miraculous stuff.
Yet it doesn't seem to have caught on all that much and isn't too readily available
Requires a few tweaks to your normal tying style, perhaps,but it's the best thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.

Any fans / nay-sayers?

Dave

deergravy

The secret is to wax it well- otherwise it's horribly slippery. You also need to take care not to slice through materials, especially deer hair. This takes a wee bit of getting used to, you have to make a couple of moderately tight turns then lay on the pressure over them.
It's great advantage is that it is, literally, unbreakable (your hook will bend first) and very fine. I find it produces much neater, more durable flies.
I routinely put two whip finishes on my flies with this stuff and the heads are still small and neat.
Oh, and it will wreck your scissors trying to hack through it, so I always cut it with a razor blade.

Dave

scotfly

I'm a big fan of GSP, particularly Roman Moser Power Silk.
Throw away the wax though, you don't need it!  :worms To stop it slipping when you attach the thread give the end a little wetting in your mouth. ( A tip I picked up from Chris Helm at last years BFFI)
For Deer hair work you want to use a heavier one, either 100 or 150 denier.
http://www.lakelandflytying.com/1622/Threads/Lagartun_Extra_Strong.aspx

Highlander

QuoteI'm a big fan of GSP, particularly Roman Moser Power Silk.
I take the opposite view, I hate the stuff. It is really a pig to work with far far too slippy & will "take the hand off you"  That along with Kevlar is a no no for me.Andrew Moray let me use is once I did not like it one little bit. Still one's mileage may vary.
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

scotfly

Quote from: Highlander on February 19, 2008, 11:42:10 PM
I hate the stuff. It is really a pig to work with far far too slippy & will "take the hand off you"

I think there is a bit of a learning curve to using it. Easy to say/do when you're younger like me, but not so easy for those in their autumnal years.

Highlander

Your probably right.......but I still think it is pish.
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

Would not dare use such rubbish thread on the Peter Ross, a sacrilege.
:roll:
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page