News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Foam Winged Klinks

Started by Wildfisher, February 29, 2008, 10:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Have been tying up a few with evazote  foam  posts. They actually look OK, are a snip to tie and should be while-fishing-maintenance-free flies. Anyone tried them tied like this?

Hans

They work well in rough, white water. Less likely to be drawn under by the current, they will allways pop-up again.
In normal conditions they are a bit heavy. A well tied parachute fly will float on the hackle, giving a more or less circular image when seen from below. The impressions of the hackle on the surface form this circle.
If the fly floats on the foam the hackle is submerged and this special effect of the parachute fly is not shown to the fish...
Hope my English is good enough to make my point clear....
Cheers, Hans.

.D.

Putting the proportion of the fly below the meniscus thing to one side for a moment, I have tied the odd foam post version, after seeing one on another forum. A version that involved foam and yarn.I thought they were OK to tie - the foam seems to compress the hackle turns into a smaller area (up the post) than the simple yarn post type.

Be a few weeks before I get a chance to wet them though.

.D.

deergravy

I tied some parachutes with a foam post a couple of years ago, looked great but sadly they didn't fish well at all. I cut the post pretty short, so it turned out the added bouyancy was non-existant - in fact, the buggers sank!
No doubt a taller,maybe thicker, post would have made a difference, thuogh as Hans said, if you're relying on the post to float the fly,the parachute hackle becomes a bit redundant.
I never pursued the idea, but I still think it has potential.

Dave

Go To Front Page