News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

scottish mayflies

Started by garryh, March 21, 2008, 02:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

hi folks i was looking for some mayfly patterns to tie that work on Scottish lochs.do the Irish patterns work OK ,some of them seem pretty big .Ive only seen mayfly hatch two or three times on Scottish lochs but the trout didn't seem to be interested in rising to them.hope to have another chance in Caithness this June ,any suggestions greatfully received

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Highlander

I had a bit of success on some lowland waters with a Yelow May, sometimes a French Partridge wet can be useful. This one of mine works on occasion. Tied on a size 10 L/S

Mayfly fishing in Scotland can be at best patchy. You do see them but generaly sporadic. I would be interested to know what waters have a hatch.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

garryh

hi highlander Ive seen mayflies on venacher and na seilge.i saw a hatch on coille bharr which a couple of locals who were also fishing called mayflies they were certainly big but they were claret in colour.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

Quotei saw a hatch on coille bharr which a couple of locals who were also fishing called mayflies they were certainly big but they were claret in colour.

April/May Gary? Sounds like claret or sepia duns which have 3 tails but half the size of true Mayflies.

I find anything big works when the fish are on the top after Mayfly. I don't though, have a hell of a lot of experience of Mayfly hatches. Just some days in Assynt.

Alex
Protect the edge.

The General

Loch Ruthven has very regular hatches of large mayflies and Artifly's Red Arsed Green Peter does the business.
I have noticed that the trout do not come up in the numbers you would expect to take them on the top.  It is
the terns and seagulls that have a feast at those times.

Davie

Malcolm

Highlander,

The biggest mayfly hatches I've seen have been on the Wiltshire Avon and in Sutherland on Urigill, Fionn, Cam and Borralan. Merkland and Griamh also have impressive hatches. The hatches can be absolutely phenomenal with hundreds of mayfly visible at any one time. I've seen these lochs absolutely bubbling with rising trout when the mayfly are up. I've seen smaller hatches on Loch Awe and Loch Lomond and several other lochs. There's some pictures of big hatches on the site - maybe Merkland - and also a discussion on the mayfly in Scotland.

They are sporadic however in that the conditions have to be right and I've seen days on end where cold temperatures and wind have meant no rise at all but a mild or even a hot day and it can be spectacular.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Tim

First week in July on Merkland and in surrounding area a couple of years ago saw some big mayfly hatches. Peacock herl DHE and Loch Ordie scored.

Tim

Wildfisher

A size 10 DHS worked well for me on Loch Sletil

Highlander

Seems they are more common than I & I am sure a few others thought. Nice handy info, food for thought people. Funny there is no great history about fishing specifically with the artificial in Scotland unlike Ireland & southern chalk streams.
Still going by what you say one should have a few imitation in ones box I reckon.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Ford

You also get mayflies on the River Earn - just the trout dont seem interested in them.  Think the hatches are too light and sporadic. 

Norm

Go To Front Page