News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A fly to "weigh" your box down

Started by Clan Ford, March 29, 2008, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

Was going to post this in the fly tying section but it more one of those type of flies that you should have in the corner of your box "just in case".

Although not the biggest of rivers the Earn can be a powerful river and I?ve had difficulty getting my flies down to where I think the fish are, particularly in the heavy winter flows when I?m after the grayling.  I?ve been using a heavily weighted ?peeping caddis? on the point to try get my dropper flies down but sometimes they are just not cutting the mustard and I then fish with a heavily weighted Czech nymph on the middle dropper to add even more weight but it does effectively mean that I really only have the one fly actually fishing!  I felt that I couldn?t add any more weight to my peeping caddis pattern, they already had a load of turns of lead and a 5mm tungsten bead on them so I went looking for a heavy fly pattern on the internet and came across ?Caddis Cased Bombers?, an invention from Eastern Europe and basically a very heavy ?sacrificial? Czech Nymph.  Simply, they are a lead bomb moulded round a hook, then covered in epoxy and rolled in sand to give the impression of a caddis case. 

They come is several weights starting at 2.2g and going up to 5.5g.  I?ve used (and lost a few) and although I?ve not had any fish on them I reckon they have allowed me to fish a couple of small nymphs ?at depth? in fast water, that have picked me up a few grayling that I might not have managed otherwise.  I have to admit that they are not the nicest thing to cast and that the biggest ones are only really of use in the very fastest flows, they have certainly added a new dimension to my fishing :shock:

I got mine from The Simian Fly Fishing Shop http://shop.siman.cz/ in the Czech Republic.  Below is a description about the flies from the website.  I particularly like the last line :lol:

?   This super heavy fly tied as point fly helps to transport dropper nymphs to the bottom.
?   Cast up stream short distance using "under tip swing cast", drive your flies following the stream, point fly jumping on the bottom.
?   Try flies tandem of this super heavy fly and a streamer with longer spinning rod, fishing behind rocks in the river bed.
?   Be careful on your rod tip.
?   Use a fly rod covered unconditional lifetime warranty.

I?ve attached a picture of my efforts and some of the ?bare? hooks.

Might be just the sort of thing to eek a trout out of some of those difficult pools, that have been talked about on here.

Norm

Clan Ford

haresear

QuoteDo you use these instead of a priest Norm?

:lol: :lol:

Those look hellish to cast, but I take it you are fishing a really short line in the fast runs and just swinging the whole affair out?

To the same end, I always have a tub of split shot with me "just in case", but I very rarely use them.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Quote from: haresear on March 30, 2008, 03:59:22 AM
Those look hellish to cast, but I take it you are fishing a really short line in the fast runs and just swinging the whole affair out?

That's the normal situation but if I want a bit more distance I coil a bit fly line at my feet and throw the fly out just like you would a handline off a pier :lol:

Quote from: haresear on March 30, 2008, 03:59:22 AM
To the same end, I always have a tub of split shot with me "just in case", but I very rarely use them.

I have done similliar in the past but to emulate the weight of this fly I reckon a small arsley bomb would be required.  Maybe I could dress one of them up :roll: :lol:

Norm

Wildfisher

I sometimes use these, Fulling mill leaded hooks. even they are a pain to cast.................... :D

[attachimg=1]

that's a 12

nant_fisher

Would probably be easy enough just to solder your own. Would also be a lot cheaper.
Adventure time

Go To Front Page