News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Polyyarn

Started by Wildfisher, April 01, 2008, 10:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 01, 2008, 11:22:59 PM

I've found both the glo yarn and the sportfish stuff to be pants. 

I've never had any problems with it. What don't you like about it?

Quote from: .D. on April 02, 2008, 01:26:14 AM
Is it crinkly?

From the picture it looks like the stuff Lureflash do: i.e. No!

Not being crinkly isn't an issue with me.
Reading some of the replies it appears that a few use the parachute post to support the fly :? Radical I know, but I use the parachute hackle for that, the post is there to wrap the hackle round, (possibly) represent a wing and act as a convenient sighter.

Clan Ford

Quote from: scotfly on April 02, 2008, 09:18:01 AM
I've never had any problems with it. What don't you like about it?

Apart from wing posts I use the stuff just like an F-Fly and for spinner, where the non floating properties are a problem.  I found the gloyarn wasa bit too soft and splayed out too much and ended up too short, just didn't like that much.

Reading some of the replies it appears that a few use the parachute post to support the fly :? Radical I know, but I use the parachute hackle for that, the post is there to wrap the hackle round, (possibly) represent a wing and act as a convenient sighter.

That's the thing, there are different stages of emeger :lol:

Norm

.D.

"Can anyone recommend a good crinkly fibred polyyarn?"

Reading the original question properly is an issue with me.  :lol:

That's why I included the rider about being unsure as to if Mcflylon is polypropylene. I don't know actually know, but it behaves in much the same way as "crinkly fibred polyyarn". :wink:

Reading "some" of the replies it seems to be assumed that there are no  uses for yarn other than parachute wingposts.
You might use it for the tufts on a Shipman's buzzer, or for the shuck on a film fly that sits flush in the film. You might use it for spinner wings (like Clan Ford, and very many others). Crinkled fibres may even be easier to see; reflecting more points of light (maybe). The post on a Klink may also represent the emerging fly in some cases, and the tied "body" the shuck.

The crinkly stuff is also easier to tie in. Less slippery, more "volume" (to the eye) and less bulk.

Radical, I know :roll:

.D.

PS - doesn't van Klinken himself use crinkly poly yarn and treat it with floatant?

scotfly

Quote from: .D. on April 02, 2008, 10:20:48 AM
"Can anyone recommend a good crinkly fibred polyyarn?"

:oops2

Quote from: admin on April 01, 2008, 10:43:49 PM
For  Klink wings etc.

Reading the original question properly is an issue with me.  :lol:

:roflmao

PS - doesn't van Klinken himself use crinkly poly yarn and treat it with floatant?

Yes he does. According to Ollie Edwards HvK treats the wing post only, not the hackle. I have serious doubts about yarn, crinkly or not, being enough to support the fly for long.

.D.

Not sure why you're rolling about, Scotfly. Are you ill?

For  Klink wings etc.

"etc" implies he's not just going to use it for Klink wings.

Can anyone recommend a good crinkly fibred polyyarn?

Whereas the question that followed asks quite specifically for a crinkly fibre.

Do you see? :makefun

.D.

haresear

Crinkly V Straight.

I'm no scientist, but these are my thoughts.

Crinkly fibres have a greater surface area than straight fibres of the same length and therefore better floatation in the surface film. Good for spinner patterns or F fly types.

Having a greater surface area, they (crinkly) have more air resistance and so if cast properly are more likely to land the right way up, especially as they collectively have more volume, so falling through the air flips the fly right way up. Good for parachute posts.

Crinkly fibres are also less likely to hold water than straight fibres. Dip both in water, hold them side by side and blow on them together. The fibres on the crinkly stuff will spring apart whilst the straight stuff will remain clogged with water. Crinkly is better for all floating flies.

I'm not sure if McFlylon is poly yran or not, but it does float. I know because I compared it with Wapsi poly yarn and EP fibres last night in a tumbler. The EP stuff looked to be the right consistency :), but sinks like a stone :(.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I use bootlaces. Great stuff and really crinkly. Good selection of colours too.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on April 02, 2008, 01:29:49 PM
Crinkly V Straight.

crinkle cut tattie crisps win hands doon.  It's the texture ye see......................... :D

Go To Front Page