News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Commercially tied flies

Started by Gary, April 13, 2008, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I don't (yet) tie my own flies.  I don't think I have the patience.  I tend to buy my flies online either through Flymail or Trout Flies Online.

The first problem is not one I have experienced before - ordered a job lot of popular Don patterns in anticipation of a good early season  :shock: but when they came there was at least half missing.  A handwritten note informed me "balance to follow".  Did they arrive?  Did they Feck!  :x

Then there is the far more common problem - I tie on a goldhead GRHE nymph and fish it through a few pockets of water, only for it to unravel.  Then I tie on a grey duster dry fly, rise one fish (which I miss), check my fly and see that the hackle has come off.

Is this a hazard with all flies?  Am I buying from dodgy suppliers?  I must admit I expect more than one day out of a fly!  Perhaps it's just the number of trees I have to rescue my flies from. :lol:

Must get into tying this coming winter (and I don't mean next week!)  :roll:

Lochan

I stopped buying commercially made flies a few years ago because I ended up with a load I never used. The hooks were poor quality and the dressing was not much better and like you say, they often dont last long. I have also been meaning to buy a kit to start making my own? It would be useful to know what kit to buy? I get all my trout and salmon flies from helmsdale company and they all do the job. Hopefully next year I will start catching fish on my own flies!

rabbitangler

If you are within striking distance of a fly dressers guild that would be a good place to start, Or else a friendly neighbourhood flytyer who's willing to point you in the right direction.

Where are you based?

Peter

Lochan

I am based down near sheffield at the moment but spend time up with my folks near nairn. I will try and buy a fly making kit soon so I can get started. I know a few people in nairn who would help. How much would I need to spend on a good starter kit?

Cheers

Troot

I recently bought a few mayflies from Spiderplus. I have to say that the quality of the flies is brilliant along with the service. They were here within a couple of days of ordering. Now i have to try them...

Hans

I could tie some flies for you if you want.... some members have bought flies from me in the past, and as far as I know they were all satisfied.
This is how it works:
You tell me what you need, (best by PM) and I will tell if the pattern you want is within my capability and give you a price.
I will only send flies I would want to be seen with myself... so good quality.
If you want the flies I will start tying and send them over usually within a few days, priority.
Payment either Paypal or cash in an envelope.
BTW, this offer is for all forum-members.

Cheers from Holland.
Hans.

Wildfisher

I can recommend Hans's flies. Excellent and good value.

No I am not on commission...................... :D

Troot

I can also say that the flies tied by the hand of Hans are great!

T

Highlander

Generally commercialy tied flies are of poor quality to say a good amateur. There are exceptions but few & far between, Spiders Plus at the other end of the spectrum is a case in point, his flies by all accounts are well tied, at a premium price but if one wants a quality product one often has to pay the price. Problem is that so many commercial flies come from the Far East & are tied by people who would not know one end of a Trout from another. No disrespect to them for they have to tie for subsistance wages but some one along the chain makes the money but not the tiers.
I say if you don't play the game you should not call the tune.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

By all accounts John Gray's flies are also very good

http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/

Go To Front Page