News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

what to use

Started by flyboy, May 15, 2008, 01:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy

im heading to the river earn to fish the "kinkell fishings" beat on saturday, ive very limited experience of river fishing. what flies should i use that have been tried and tested?

haresear

Flyboy,

If you have limited river experience, I would suggest a safe bet of butcher on the tail and a greenwell on the dropper. Fish them down and across.

Should be some sea trout about, I hope. Good luck.

Alex
Protect the edge.

sandyborthwick

I'd be tempted to trysomething in a similar vein to Alex but I'd probably go for a small Silver Stoat on the point and a JC Bibio Emerger on the dropper - might be worth a chance if the Butcher and Greenwells aren't working.

Sandy B.O.

Clan Ford

The Earn is very low at the moment and you may well struggle to find any migratories although Kinkell gets a few coming and going with the tide.  For me low and clear water means its time for the silver stoats tail, infact I was chatting to Sandy the Ghillie at the grayling stravaig and he was telling that it is the most leathal fly on his beat.  Think small doubles or tiny tubes in 12's down.  Alternatively, the trout might well be up on the fin and you might get a good hatch of Olvies.  The usual stuff klinks, DHE and more general emerger patterns should do OK.  The trout at Kinkell can be big and are certainly worth targeting if there is nothing going on with the Salmon or Seatrout.  The place is also absolutely hooching with grayling, which have probably just spawned so might not be the best sport but you'll pick them up (as well as trout) fishing at team of spiders.

Norm

flyboy

thanks for the response, more knowledge gained. is there any pools which anyone can recommend, i will be walking hopefully the full beat but i will spend more time in some pools than others as my girlfriend is coming and she will be trying for salmon.

Go To Front Page