News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Midgies

Started by Pearly Invicta, May 23, 2008, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearly Invicta

Are we on the cusp of the midgie season? I've just had a weekend in Assynt, generally ghillie-ing for some friends up from Middlesborough for their first highland fishing experience. The midgies seemed to be around but not biting. Does that mean the males are around but the far more vicious females (a common theme in nature) are still to hatch out? I should think a week or two and the clouds of hell will be found in superabundance.

.D.

They're already out!

The sun's been keeping them at bay for much of the day.

But they're already about, more so on the west.

I've already been munched quite a bit over the last couple of weeks when the cloud has thickened and the wind has dropped.

.D.

haresear

Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the norsemen and the west highland midge! :shock:

Alex
Protect the edge.

nant_fisher

Aye they're out on force over here.
Adventure time

smackinnon

there are plenty of the little buggers out in the Pentlands, anyone recommend a repellant that
actually works...everytime....
only dead fish go with the flow.

Tim

Forget the chemicals. Midge net, latex surgical gloves and elastic at every join. Only way to go.

Tim

haresear

Autan, Shoo, Jungle Formula and Rid. I had the lot on at Loch Tulla one horrendous night and was still savaged. Spent the night in the car (pissed and stoned) it was unforgettably bad :shock:

One day just a couple of miles down the Glen Orchy road, the midges had us near tears. I spotted a salmon off a cliff and my pal Brian plonked a worm on it. The salmon took, Brian stuck and the salmon thrashed the surface and came off. He then was bitten almost simultaneously on the eye by a wee bastard.

His reaction was to throw his rod up a tree and jump up and down shouting "bastard bastard bastard..." :lol:

I can see it now :lol: :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Pearly Invicta

2 years ago at Eigheach, couldn't even get a fly tied on without running off, thrashing my arms around. That's when I invented the 2-turn blood knot...

superscot

simply buy a good net and things become just about bareable ...... :lol: :lol:

also as mentioned before good latex surgical gloves saves the hands .....plus I'm with breac on the Autan ... :) :)

good stuff and a nice smell to it as well ...

Have heard the many stories on the skin so soft ...well you can keep it for me ....tried and tested and simply bitten to feck no matter

how many times you apply it .

For inside the tents we tend to burn a Kilmos Coil an insect repellent that gives off a mild vapour when lit repelling mosquitoes, midges

and gnats etc. and works extremly well to give you a wee beastie free sleeping tent !

east wind

Got attacked a bit last week, defended myself with some stuff left over from when i worked abroad.
Used by Royal Navy personnel, it stinks but it works. It's called OFF by Johnson's (should be called F@$K OFF)

The stuff i have left is clear and in spray form. Battle tested at a loch near Kyle of Lochalsh, i remember having a perfect ball of the buggers round my head hovering six inch from my face probing for a way in, that in itself was almost enough to crack me.

Remember getting back to the car, clathes aff and attacked. Speed off with stuff still on the roof screaming with the windows down as three or four had got in beside me.

See it on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNSON-OFF-LOTION-PUMP-SPRAY-100ml-INSECT-REPELLENT_W0QQitemZ290225430506QQihZ019QQcategoryZ101768QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Go To Front Page