News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

I need a point fly

Started by Steve, July 01, 2008, 12:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

A week in Orkney and a week in Wester Ross and almost all my fish were taken on the bob or the dropper, with only 2 fish taking my point fly,
anyone recommend a really good fly for me to try?
Steve

Clan Ford

Steve,

Try a guest - done me pround on the lochs over the last few seasons, it doesn't always live up to its name :D

Norm

Wildfisher

Silver Invicta is my main tail fly and it catches loads of fish. If I want to get deeper I'll use a guest

Fishtales

My HillLoch Nymph always on the point of my three fly cast size 12 or 14.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

wag99

Silver Invicta worked well for me last year in orkney.

paulr

Aye a pearly pennel is my go-to point fly.Sometimes with a silver bead head if i want it to get down a bit deeper.
Paul

Wildfisher

Also never forget the humble Butcher. Still a great flee and one of my fall backs. Tie some up in 14, 12 and 10. Seldom fails, one of the all time greats.

IrishFloatTube

Amber Chomper = if fished fast, corixa and also = if fished slow, sedge pupa
Silver body black spider = good particularly in the sun
Norm

haresear

On a new water in the absence of any clues as to what might be hatching I might well tie on one of any of the general searching patterns like a butcher, cinnamon and gold or similar, especially if fishing the flies quite quickly. I tend to use more or less anything in this situation and if gold isn't working I'll try silver, or black, red...etc etc..
I don't really have any favourites among the attractor patterns. I just have a selection of attractor flies in various colours and ring the changes until I get some action.

If on the other hand I see or expect to see olives for example, I'm more likely to take a more imitative approach and use a small olive quill or similar, fished slowly. If I think I need to get down a bit, I might use a pheasant tail nymph instead or any weighted nymph, like a hare's ear.

I suppose my point is that all flies will work at times. It is a case of firstly observation and secondly trial and error.

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteIs it not the case that bob flies tend to catch the most anyway?

That is probably fair comment over the course of a season, but not always the case on any given day. At Ossian last week, my first 6 or so came to the olive on the tail. Even with my failing memory :( I can remember a few days when the tail produced best.

Breac, going by your reports this season, are you surprised Steve won't take your advice?  Only kidding Derek :lol:

To be serious, Invictas in their various forms are perfectly good general patterns and make a passable sedge pattern too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page