News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

I need a point fly

Started by Steve, July 01, 2008, 12:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Sandfly on July 01, 2008, 08:44:05 PM
Never forget the magical Peter Ross

It's a point fly he's looking for Davy, not a point-less fly   :biglaugh;

Highlander

QuoteNever forget the magical Peter Ross   
Now there is a man with a bit off class, unlike you other lot of unbelievers.
:makefun
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Malcolm

Peach Baby Doll or a lightly weighted pink tailed hare's ear nymph are my first choice tail flies on the relatively few occasions that I fish wets for wild brownies. These work particularly well in Assynt.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Tim

Skinny red diawl bach can be a killer.

The bob/tail (yep I'm a sassenach) thing is weird though. I remember a brilliant day that dad and I had on Scarmclate (Stemster) where they only wanted the ke-he. Ended up just fishing two and they still all hit the bob.

Tim

sandyborthwick

Steve,

I'd always have a wee go with the Clan Chief on the POINT - always produced well. Works and I often fish this with a couple of snatcher droppers when pulling wets.

Sandy B.O.

superscot

canny beat a good all rounder !!!!!!! :worms :worms :worms :worms................ :getcoat

Harpo

Just noticed this post, I've used a dabbler, a rebel dabbler in particular on the point many times with some success, including my biggest fish in Gairloch (see below) and a couple up "that" Loch in Perthshire, there is a an article by Stan Headly :worms in this months Trout & Salmon including tying info.

If any one is planning to tie some let me know as I cannae find them in the shoaps.

Cheers

Harpo

Hi Wee Bri,

That would be marvellous, good excuse for another pint as well :D

Eh not really sure about sizes, not something I really think about, although probably should!
Some 8's, 10's & 12's should do it.

Keep some for yourself if you haven't used them before, they work well on overcast days with a good wave.

Give me a shout when you want to arrange the hand over in the pub car park !

Much appreciated

Stuart

Harpo

Hi Bri,

My last remaining Rebel Dabbler flee, has a purple tail.

If you've got any maroon/claret globrite you could always invent Wee Bri's "Gorgie Dabbler"  :D

Cheers

PS - Just found the original post which includes a piccie of it !

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3549.msg26955#msg26955

deergravy

Bob Wyatt discusses the disproportionate effectiveness of the bob-fly in his book.
Even if you fish the same fly in both positions, the fish usually go for the bob.
He offers the seemingly ludicrous theory that the trout sees the tail fly as pursuing the bob and this stimulates it into a race to grab it.
Sounds bonkers at first, but fish are fairly simple, instinct driven creatures. Who knows?
As he says, 'If you've got a better theory, I'm all ears'

Oh, an Endrick Spider is well worth a go as a prospecting tail fly for wild (or any) loch browns
(slightly weighted, PT body with brown partridge tail & hackle, oval silver rib)
Dave

Go To Front Page