News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anyone using the Loch Ordie?

Started by IrishFloatTube, July 07, 2008, 03:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishFloatTube

Dapping season is almost here,and I was thinking of tying up some shaving brushes.

They all seem huge to me.

So my question is:
What is the favourite size / colour mix of dapping loch ordie for trout?
I suppose overall length is a better measure since some will have tendems, others longshank singles, and yet others could be on tubes.

Is the tiny "flying treble" now frowned upon in these politically correct days of barbless wire, hooks and sarcasm?  :)

deergravy

Size 10 wide gape hook
Rear half - black
Front half - brown/red game
Head - 2 turns of white.

That and a foam bodied daddy are all I ever use for dapping.

Tied with webby hen hackles, it's also far and away my most effective wet fly for highland trout.

One of the immortal greats.

Dave

deergravy

col
like the sound of those anorexics, been meaning to give them a go
sounds like my type of fly - not much to them but well designed.

Dave

Pearly Invicta

A wee one with the top o' its heid lightly ginked is deadly in a decent wave at sedge time.

Highlander

Unless you go for Sea Trout & Salmon then no need for shaving brushes.
For Trout
Ones I use daddies (August/September) 10/8 LS Light to medium wire
Others include various Sedge patterns, hook size as above
A simple wee Loch Ordie is as good as anything as is on some waters a bushy Blue Zulu or Soldier Palmer.
basically any palmered fly could be utilised. What I sometimes do on occasion is to use a L/S hook & tied it still bushy but short in the shank. That way the fly sits nice on/in the water hook bend down.

Tight Lines

On an aside if anyone is looking for a really good floss I have a few spools going.
Dons of Edmonton Spinnaker.........Not available now for sale from supplier but I managed to get 6 spools some years back.This one is the best of them all. No like that crap Bob Chuch stuff one buys nowadays.

PPS Yes to your question on small trebles but not for some years & only on the big waters like Lomond & Hope & certainly for the somewhat silvery breathern
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page