News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Contrasts

Started by Wildfisher, March 27, 2005, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What are  your views on contrasts in flies for attracting fish?

Thinking back over the most killing patterns folk I know use, I am certain that contrasts are  a  major  factor in attracting fish. Or at least bringing   the  fly to the attention  of the fish.  I am not talking about garish patterns here, more  subtle combinations of blacks and whites, or perhaps  greens and blacks, yellows and blacks. For example, the green tail added to the Kate Mclaren, or the white head hackle on Allan?s  bibio. Over the past few weeks John and I have caught a lot of fish on his pearly black pennel muddler. This fly is weighted so it is not fishing like a conventional muddler  and I wonder if the clipped muddler head works because the black of the fly contrasts with the  white  / grey clipped head? I know analogies can be dangerous. But when out walking my collie and watching her run after sticks, one quickly realises it is no accident that these dogs are black and white. You can see them a mile off as they run. The contrast creates a flashing illusion as the dog runs. It catches  the eye. Difficult to miss. Maybe to the passer-by it?s not obvious at first that  it?s a dog, but they will see it,  handy if you are  shepherd out on the hill. If the dog was a single colour, that effect would be lost.  Are the fish seeing  contrasts and /  or  subtle  changes in  fly profile ?

Go To Front Page