News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wyatt?s Deer Hair Sedge

Started by Wildfisher, July 29, 2008, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

For  a while now I?ve been experimenting with different fly patterns, as my voluminous box(es) will testify to. Last night, on the Don after fucking about spending almost as much time fixing saturated CDC with kitchen roll and dry-shake  as actually fishing  I  got pissed off,  tied on a good old low maintenance DHS and took a fish first cast. Not a big fish, but it just drove home the value of simplicity and robustness in fly design. This fly will catch fish anywhere and is the most versatile and user friendly fly I know. It floats like a cork, is easy to see on the water and fish are suckers for it.

I?m not saying there is no need for other flies, but as a go-to this one is hard to better. If I could use only one dry fly it would be the DHS in various sizes and colours. Not as well known, perhaps,  as Bob?s   DHE, but much more of an all rounder in my opinion.

Malcolm

It's a cracker right enough. I use it and also a a variant of that which has a palmered CDC body hackle (it's got a name but I can't think what it is at the moment - I think it was a Hans Weillenman pattern) but is otherwise almost identical.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I should also have said it's one of the easiest flies to tie. Two materials, no faffing about.

aliferste

Quote from: Malcolm on July 29, 2008, 09:27:58 PM
It's a cracker right enough. I use it and also a a variant of that which has a palmered CDC body hackle (it's got a name but I can't think what it is at the moment - I think it was a Hans Weillenman pattern) but is otherwise almost identical.

Malcolm

Its the CDC & Elk by Hans Weilenmann - a very good fly indeed!

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

Highlander

Hans took the Deer Hair Sedge a wee stage further & my simply adding a body hackle of CDC created an even better fly. The (CDC & ELK) Sometimes a wee simple tweak or change transforms a good fly into a better fly. Not always but on this occasion it does. Beauty as I see it,is that it is not a fly for one off hatches but a good general searching pattern that covers a variety of insect forms.
I like it most as a evening Sedge pattern for the way it sits in the film rather than on it. The shape & silhouette of the Sedge coupled with the CDC to  give that wee bit exta life to it. All in all a useful fly & one of the modern classics. On an aside whilst Mr Wyatt tinkles about with patterns I do not think he was the creator of the Deer Hair Sedge. This type of tying has been around for many years particularly in the States where it most certainly hails from.
One thing I have always been meaning to ask Hans is why The Elk, when the wing is deer, that answer has always alluded me.  :)
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

I have never tried a CDC and elk. I must tie some up, as so many people swear by them.

Highlander, I think the elk/deer thing was discussed before. I'll try to find the thread. Meanwhile I found this...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_elk_and_deer

I don't think Bob Wyatt ever claimed the DHE or the DHS to be his inventions. It was probably just his publicising them through his writing that led some people to associate them with Bob and reach the conclusion that they were "his" patterns.

I had a look and found this old thread which should confuse the issue further, but the banter :D is good.. http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3514.0

Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

QuoteI don't think Bob Wyatt ever claimed the DHE or the DHS to be his inventions
Never said he did, but many do. Just wanted to keep the record straight.
QuoteHighlander, I think the elk/deer thing was discussed before. I'll try to find the thread. Meanwhile I found this
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I know the difference but question was Why does Hans call it CDC & Elk when he uses fine tipped deer  hair for the wing?
You really should tie up a few, they can be quite good especially on rivers.
Tight Lines
On an aside haresear said in an old thread
Quotef you hit a red deer in a ford focus, you would win. If you hit an elk
This is what happens if you hit an ELK

Nemo me impune lacessit

just_steven

Quote from: Highlander on August 07, 2008, 09:30:43 PM
This is what happens if you hit an ELK

Or even a moose in this case!

Highlander

Moose (Elk in Europe) Still no dae yer caur any good if you hit it.
:)
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

rabbitangler

Hey they grow their moosies big in America, my cat brought a scottish moose in today, by F**K it wisnae near thon things size.........Thank god!!

Go To Front Page