News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dry Bloody Butcher to replace Bibio in bright conditions

Started by IrishFloatTube, August 07, 2008, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishFloatTube

Dry Bloody Butcher

This is one I have used for many years now. It started when I realised that trout don't care if midge pupae are straight instead of curved so I gave up using "round the bend" dressings for chironomid pupae imitations.  I settled on the spider style for all future sunk midge pupa work.
My standard pupa became a no tail, black hen hackle spider + black, silver, claret or olive body (also covers lake olive requirement).

Bob-flies: The Zulu in my box evolved into the Bibio.  The Duck Fly became the Grey Duster.

Soon it became noticable fishing the silver body pupa close to the surface on  "white to sunny" days that a silver body performs better on these occasions. I think in sunshine the natural glossy pupa's body reflects the light just like a mirror, making the pupa highly visible to predators, so trout zone in on flashy pupae in this circumstance.

As a result the emerging claret and silver pupa morphed into the Dry Bloody Butcher.  This is a very good fly for on-or-in-the-surface midge fishing on bright weather.  A Dry Bloody butcher often prevents a blank on a hard day.

Highlander

That as a Heather Fly imitation would work quite well I am sure.
Using Fancy Flies as a dry is not a new thing though. Many years ago the Alex Martin Tackle Shop in Glasgow had a range of fancies tied as parachute versions.
In it's hey day Loch Leven favourite bob flies were the Butcher series & it does not take a wee  bit of imagination to take it a stage further to full bodied dries. They never really caught on but that was not to say they would not work. In my youth & even today I fish on many occasions fancies whilst not out & out dries but on the bob & more often than not out of the water than in. The Bloody version was my favourite but a Kingfisher could be good as well & many Loch Leven fish succumbed to it's attractiveness. I can certainly see why it would work as a dry, so good luck to anyone who wants to try this novel way of fishing.
Ones I have used on occasion dry other than the Butcher are Peter Ross & Grouse & Green.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

IrishFloatTube

Quote from: Highlander on August 07, 2008, 04:17:58 PM
That as a Heather Fly imitation would work quite well I am sure.  ......
Ones I have used on occasion dry other than the Butcher are Peter Ross & Grouse & Green. 
Tight Lines 

Yes, since I began using it, it has also been my Heather Fly pattern and does the job well, but you don't need Heather flies around to make it work.

Dry Peter Ross & Grouse & Green? A dry G&G would make an emerger Sooty Olive with a Green Peter Sedgy look.
The dry Peter Ross ... harder to picture. 
Will tie some to evaluate.

IrishFloatTube

Quote from: Ardbeg on August 08, 2008, 12:28:31 AM
..... all my Peter Ross's are dry flees 'cause I never fish the useless things. :worms :worms
Ardbeg

I know what you mean, I had a PR in my wallet for over 10 years before catching anything on it. :D

While on the subject of "classic pattern amendments" a Teal and Red with the wing cut off leaving a just stump, can also get the trout when red midge are on the water in sunlit conditions.
But a Dry Bloody Butcher beats the T&R cutdown in IMHO. (never tested a Dry T&R yet) The Dry BB seems to have more "bring them up from deep to have a close look" factor. I have experienced  an unusual number of times when a bulge, or bow wave appears behind this fly, and giving it a tiny twitch induces a take.
This seems to be a "slim silver body in the surface film" thing as it happens less frequently with other patterns (for me at least).

Highlander

Quoteall my Peter Ross's are dry flees 'cause I never fish the useless things
Ever think it might be you & a few others that are useless & not the flee.
  :roll:
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

Unbeliever, seven hail Mary's & an act of contrition to you too my son.
:makefun
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page