News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

trusted wets for lochs

Started by jockscott, September 12, 2008, 08:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jockscott

Im compiling my fly list's for the winter as Im normally pretty damn busy collecting my game feathers Ive found it easy to do a list then when the notion to tie hits me I start at the top and work down. But this year Ive found the list pretty short indeed!!
Gone are any Claret coloured flies as even though Ive had them I aint done much on them infact I cant remember a fish caught on a claret bodied fly at all! The same for spiders there off the list and I cant for the love of me think why they deserve as place!!

So here it is

Bibio
Green tailed Kate
Grenadier
Teds Olive ( I think!)
Pearly Invicta
White Hackled Invicta
Wickams
Banton Midge
My version of a Macleods Olive
Morning Glory
Greenwells
Blae and Black

These have been by far my most deadliest fail safe patterns. Im looking to expand on the list but Im stuck fast. So how about some suggestions?

cheers
js

Ian_M

Interesting list JS.  Can't say I would ever be without a claret fly or two in the box myself, but each to his own.

Is the morning glory the rainbow trout fly that was once much favoured at Loch Fitty?
Ian

jockscott

QuoteIs the morning glory the rainbow trout fly that was once much favoured at Loch Fitty?

I thought it was a leven fly and I always did well there with the pattern. Is it not a kingfisher butcher with a squirrel wing? My late father always went on about claret flies especially the Grouse and claret but Ive done squat with them except a claret spider on running water.

smackinnon

original Kate McLaren...can be deadly
only dead fish go with the flow.

Ian_M

JS - The morning glory had a gold body and a squirrel tail wing but thats all I can remember about it. It was always on display in the Fitty shop as far as I remember.
Ian

Clan Ford

Nice one Z  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norm

haresear

Not a bad list there JS. I see you have a couple of olive options, which is always a good thing to my mind.

It is not a loch wet fly in traditional terms, but I do like something like a weighted pheasant tail nymph or a hares ear nymph as an option to get down a bit while still using a floating line.

I also like the option of something really wake-producing on the bob. A sedgehog or a muddler for example.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

jockscott

Haresear they were my wets, I would also have hoppers and sedgehogs in the box.

claret
oilve dabblers picric sounds a damn good idea, as well as Diawl Bachs.

As for the Morning glory the pattern I used was the kingfisher butcher dressing swapping the wing for squirrel but the palmered 1 does appeal esspecially for Browns.

Highlander

For you unbelievers this is a Peter Ross, a variant of mine but who cares...........Oh the banter

Not perfect, the wing could be better but proportion is about right.

As for Morning Glory, as much as it pains me to include a Fitty (flooded coal pit) fly a member did ask.

Hook: 10-14
Thread: black
Tail: tuft of fluorescent floss (Glo Brite No 14)
Body: flat gold tinsel
Rib: wine gold wire
Hackle: hot orange cock, two turns at head rest palmered.
Wing: Grey Squirrel tail

A variation on a Kingfisher Butcher I believe.

As for lists I really do not do lists but for what it worth I will make a couple of points.
For the poster that has not had good success with a claret coloured fly all I can say is that when fishing a peaty stained/dark coloured loch a claret or indeed a red bodied fly shows up well & over the years have taken many a fine Trout. A wee claret thing of mine that suits Loch Ba, sadly only The Bandies but one lives in hope.

Spiders too are most underrated and those that can know how well they can do especially in high summer low waters conditions. The simple Stewarts Black Spider will take fish when & where ever it is mounted on a cast as it doubly does so on streams. Still every man to their own & as it should be.
Tight Lines

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page