News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Roman Mosers power silk

Started by Clan Chief, September 18, 2008, 11:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Anyone know and advise on who supplies this material as used in Oliver Edwards fine dvd's. Quite fancy getting some spools of this in olive , brown and black.

scotfly

Most places stock it, I get mine from Niche Products.
Be prepared for a learning curve when you first use it. Great stuff once you master it though.

Clan Chief

QuoteBe prepared for a learning curve when you first use it
Please expain. Do you know if the GAC stock it as I may visit the store this weekend.No mention of it on their web site.

scotfly

I don't know about GAC, I've never used them.

There are 3 major points with power silk (gsp)

1 - It is very slippery, so when you first attach it to the hook you may find you need more turns than with normal thread. (tip; wet the end before starting, you'll get better initial grip)

2 - It will slice through some materials so it is unsuitable for feather wings and the like. It is also not good for deer hair work in the finer diameters (50 denier) If you are going to do deer hair use 130 denier gsp.

3 - To cut it with scissors you need to hold it under tension. Don't try to break it, you'll break the hook first or it will slice through your fingers!

Its plus points are its strength, it lays flat and the 50 denier will tie everything from a 1/0 to a 20. It also takes marker pen well.
It is a great thread, I use it a lot, especially the RMPS 8/0 (50 denier) But I don't use it for traditional winged wet or dry flies, though it is good for spiders and palmers.

rabbitangler

Quote from: scotfly on September 19, 2008, 09:21:43 AM

3 - To cut it with scissors you need to hold it under tension. Don't try to break it, you'll break the hook first or it will slice through your fingers!

Another thing about cutting powersilk is to push the thread with the scissors points rather than snipping. Oliver Edwards told a story about a big yorkshireman who claimed he could break kevlar type thread. Despite Ollie's protests the big guy wound the thread around his hands and then gave a hearty tug!  then a trickle of blood started to ooze out of his fingers - the thread had nearly sliced to the bone. 

Motto don't pull too hard! Unless of course you want to cut the material when you can pull right on the spot and slice through it.

Peter

Highlander

I have to ask, why would you want to use a "thread" that would cut through your hand. Unlike a few others I detest the stuff, I find it most difficult to tie with as is is extremely slippy & for the flies I do I certainly do not need "to get used to it". Naw, one to avoid is my opinion.
Tight Lines

"If you do not like my opinions I have others"
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Crawhin

I've never used the stuff myself and have been happy enough with Uni thread the last few years. This power silk sounds a bit tricky to use for normal tying - what are the advantages with it?

Cheers,

Ian

rabbitangler

Quote from: ianc on September 19, 2008, 07:58:57 PM
This power silk sounds a bit tricky to use for normal tying - what are the advantages with it?

Cheers,

Ian
It's extremly strong and fine. If you use it sensibly, certainly for synthetics, you can put loads of pressure on to create less build up and hold down very securely, it is slippy but you just need to adjust your tying style to suit. Personally I only use it sparingly when required - klinkhammers etc - but it's magic for producing really neat heads. Whip finish then give it real laldy and the thread all but disappears. Sure the trout don't really mind but confidence is all as far as flies go, and if your a fly tyer................................

Crawhin

Thanks Peter. Will give it a go sometime - must just remember not to try snapping it with my hands  :shock:

Ian

rabbitangler

certainly not a recommended way of finishing a fly :shock:

Go To Front Page