News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How Many Members Tie Their Own Flies

Started by Wildfisher, November 30, 2008, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you tie your own flies

Never
9 (13%)
Very Seldom
6 (8.7%)
Always
54 (78.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

sandyborthwick

I put always but I do still buy flies. Tying for me is a joy in the fact that I can get the flies just the way I like the pattern. I've always got a lot more satisfaction from catching using a self tied version than those produced elsewhere. Fly swapping is also high on my agenda as it sometimes gives an insight as to why one version of a fly pattern often outfishes its namesake fished on the same day. Many experienced fly tyers have particular styles and this often imparts as much variety as pattern does IMHO. I truly have more faith in my own patterns and I'm sure this is true of most fly tyers.

The ultimate high for me is if your out on the water with some friends who are struggling and they take your offer of a fly and start to catch - there's something about the chance to help make someone Else's day with such a little thing.

Sandy B.O.

haresear

I voted always, but if I can buy a decent version of a fly then I'm happy enough to buy and use that. Usually that means a standard pulling wet fly like a Kate MMcLaren or a Butcher for loch fishing.

The ones I concentrate on tying are mainly my own river patterns which I can't buy.

I also tie practically all of my nymphs as I can control the amount of weight in the fly.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Hans

Obviously always....
I sometimes by a few flees as a reference to copy, or as a souvenir...
But to fish I always use me own....
Cheers, Hans

thewaterbouys

I Always tie my own flies as theres nothing better than catching a fish on your own tying. i get a few tips from step by step on this site. :D
Henry

Andrew Moray

I tie my own, but I'm not adverse to buying some, e.g. micro klinks from Hans.
Don't get to tie as often as I'd like, so makes it more like a production run than a pleasure when I do get the chance. Which of course makes it a chore etc etc.

Definite buzz though when somebody catches on one of yours when they've been struggling.

Tony

sewin007

Tie my own when I get the chance, I dont buy fly's but Iam not adverse to pinching some from my brother who is a prolific tyer, I think the majoriy of shop bought fly's are overdressed especially bumble patterns.

I would like to be better organised when it comes to tying, I recently tried to buy a writing bureau from ebay but just missed out, i think one of these would be ideal as a table and storage for my gear with the added bonus of keeping my good lady happy with a decorative piece of furniture.

bibio1

I put in always but I love going into tackle shops for a wee browse and usually succumb to temptation and buy something. I do occasionally use them but more for the lochs instead of the rivers. For some reason tackle shops don't seem to have a decent stock of river patterns

Paul

Malcolm

I tie everything except Muddlers. I can tie them but I don't enjoy it so I don't bother. It's surprising how may other fly tiers have said the same to me.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

IrishFloatTube

Always

Only exception might be a fly swop.

lnelson20

I tie my own dries and palmers but very rarely winged wets,traditionals such as invictas and butchers i tend to buy as i could not tie them any better than shop bought patterns anyway.I find some shop bought patterns vastly overdressed,particularly some dries.There is so much that you can tie that you can't buy :D

Chris.
c.nelson

Go To Front Page