News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scrap heap challenge?

Started by col, December 14, 2008, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Best fished in a team of three or four just for effect.

Of course you could claim it was just a New Zealand Style cork strike indicator :shock:.

Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

Works great in any stew pond for those that way inclined.

Amazing how effective a Tescos wine cork can be!!

Sandy B.O.

Clan Ford

I'm hedging my bets Col, the wife is working on Sunday so I'm on childcare duties - I might get down the Earn at last knockings (if I'm keen), so it will probably be a nymph or spider of some sort.  If not the next chance to get out will most likely be the following weekend and it will be on the loch, that will demand an altogether different fly.  Think I'll tie a few this week and see what takes my fancy.

Does it have to be a broonie or do grayling and escape rainbows count :shock:

Norm

sandyborthwick

Derek must be the Gandolf/Wizard fly  :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Looks like it might be magic for the Broonies.

Sandy B.O.

River Chatter

This is my entry...

Name: Plastic Punk

Wing: Clipping from a Westie (badly home-dyed with a green felty - just like punks would do back in the day)
Beard: Natural Westie
Rib: Gold wire from a bottle of cheap plonk
Body: Strip cut from black refuse bag
Tag: Fibres from a pair of tartan breeks
Hook: What else... a safety pin cannabalised and bent to shape (naturally barbless). The hook eye was fashioned from a small split ring about half the diameter of the safety pin. It was straightened, folded in half and then whipped to the hook shank.

Harpo

I think you should win already for making your own hook !

Clan Ford

Finally got my arse into gear and tied a few tonight. 

[attachimg=1]
A bug

Underbody - strip of lead from a rusting flying "c" found in the Earn
Body - Mixture of sheep wool pulled from a fence and rabbit off a coat used as a prop in the schools drama dept.
Under rib - reddish copper wire from the science dept.
Flash back - bit of a quality street wrapper
Over rib - Nylon Thread (Korbond) from Tesco's

[attachimg=2]
Wire Spider

Body - reddish copper wire "donated" by the school's science department
Thorax - More of the sheep/rabbit mixture
hackle - Teal feather from a bird shot by the jannie at the school

[attachimg=3]
Flashback Spider

Body - The sheep/rabbit mix again.
under rib - tying thread
Flashback - A bit green ribbon from a christmas presnt
Over rib - Nylon thread from tesco
Hackle - Teal again

Still not decided on which fly to go for and might tie some more variations but given it will probably still be grayling at the start of the season I'll probably go for the bug, what do you think?

Norm

lnelson20

Some of these flees are looking better than the ones i tye with  fly tying materials :D

Chris.
c.nelson

The General

Heh ref, you'll have to disqualify that Norm guy coz he has entered three flies and you took poor Breac to task and there are a few others.
Am seeing my mp.  I'm sticking to my spring salmon fly, was gonna tie one on a pin in my wife's sewing box but I will tick to the rools.

:8)
Davie

River Chatter

Quote from: The General on March 11, 2009, 01:36:48 PM
...was gonna tie one on a pin in my wife's sewing box but I will tick to the rools.

:8)
Davie

Come on General, be fair. The rules of the game do say that thread and a hook are allowed, but they don't say that they're compulsory! A hook made from scrap is in keeping with the spirit of the game after all, don't you think? Anyway, the flies made so far could be described as using 'fly tying and other materials that are not purposely bought in a shop or described as for fly tying by the merchant. All the hair (including the hair in my submission), feathers and wire materials, while not specifically bought for fly tying are all accepted materials. Hell, they are the usual materials used - just not shop bought!

Go To Front Page