News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smallest flies you use

Started by Malcolm, December 15, 2008, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are the smallest flies you would use in a season?

12 or larger
0 (0%)
8 (16.3%)
9 (18.4%)
16 (32.7%)
20 or smaller
16 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 18, 2008, 04:49:07 PM

Malcolm

I find the small flies which have been posted here fascinating and admire the skill with which they are tied but I wondered what sizes of flies are the smallest we use in an average season. I suspect it may vary by location. For myself I virtually never go below an 18 although I've got a small emergency selection of flies down to about 22 which almost never see the end of my cast.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Pearly Invicta

I have a box of tiny spiders and emergers that Hans tied for me. The size 28 and 30 machair spiders get a couple of outings a year- usually in a flat calm or for very fussy feeders. They've saved the odd blank.

dseabass

generally 12 -14    ----but av got a few wee tiny bits of cul-canard (fluff ) tied-wrapped on some 18s  which i use sometimes when its very calm  

sandyborthwick

Won some Hans Micro Klinks last year, what a revelation. the smallest flies are just great. The sizes are below 18s by a fair way - more akin to catching my minnows :lol: but the sport is great. Had a ten inch monster and I thought I was going to lose the fly. I've had some amazing fun with them on a little stream and even on the loch in a flat calm with the midges eating me alive.

Sandy B.O.

scotfly

The majority of my fishing is normally 16 - 20's, with a few 22 - 26's occasionally

Clan Ford

In the past, on the WoL, I frequently used down to size 28 as the fish were feeding on wee terrestrial dross.  Never come across a stream where I've had to fish so small since, generally use 16 and 18's.

Norm

The General

Ok ok so just what size of leader are youz guyz with the great eyes using to get these dots on to the water.  I personally cannot see any kind of natural presentation if anything above a pound is used on 20's and above

Davie

nant_fisher

Smallest I would normally use are size 14's. Most of my fishing is done on lochs which don't have excellent hatches of anything so more often than not it's standard wets I use. If I was fishing on rivers I'd probably try something smaller.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

haresear

An 18 or 20 is as small as I feel comfortable with, but I did land a very hard fighting good sized fish around 2lb on one of Hans' micro flies, so maybe I should try them more regularly than I do.

Alex
Protect the edge.

.D.

I'll go down to a 22 or 24 frequently, and a 26 rarely on the river. Usually for little smuts (using dry or wet flies).

But I'd estimate about 70% of the time I use flies in the size 12-16 range. If I'm using a dry fly for combing the water  a 14 is about as small as I go :shock:.

Cheers,

.D.

Go To Front Page