News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snipe and woodcock

Started by Clan Chief, February 03, 2009, 06:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Took delivery of these two birds (Snipe and a woodcock) today. Looking for advice on where to get the best feathers from.
I was also given pheasent tails and wings and Ive bunged them in the freezer to kill any bugs was that the correct thing to do. I also got a pheasent but made an arse of trying to get the breast oot. Got loads of lovely feathers though.
I was instructed to stand on the wings and pull the legs. It did come apart bit messy though. I was rather course with it and probably destroyed the meat . Next time I will get someone to get the breast oot for me.

Edited to say I pulled the wings off the snipe

scotfly

Loads of feathers on both birds CC, the obvious with the woodcock is the wings for the woodcock series of wets. But, don't neglect the hackles either, most useful ones will be at the base of the wings.
The snipe is literally covered in useful feathers, if you can skin it, so much the better. Hackles can be taken from the base of the wings and all down the back. As well as being a useful feather in its own right, snipe and purple, etc, snipe is also a good substitute for golden plover.
Fill yer boots with some lovely soft hackles.  :8)

Harpo

Two fine eating birds apparaently, did you manage to salvage anything manageable?
I think some roast Woodcock, guts and all and eat the lot :shock:

Clan Chief

Thank's Scotfly. I kept as many feathers as I could in the little time I had to get them as the wife was going radio rental about the birds being in the hoos.
When I pulled the wings and some feathers there was still meaty bits for want of a better expression, still attached. I bagged everything and have it in the bottom drawer of the freezer. When I take them out to thaw. should I just air them to let the fleshy stuff dry up?

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page