News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

fly tying tools (what do you use)

Started by col, January 09, 2009, 10:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Once upon a time i received a load of fly tying tools at the time they were much appreciated as i didn't even have a bobbin holder to my name, i just held the bobbin in my hand. Now i cant say i use many tools  , apart from Bobbin holder, occasionally hackle pliers (again I'm usually happy to wind it by hand, unless the feather is tiny) scissors, and a dubbing needle (Breacs one, there crackers! :D) to pick out bodies and varnishing, and recently a pen lid for stacking.
i used to use the bobbin threader but found sucking the thread through the bobbin hassle free, the whip finish tool i foundto much hassle to.
What do you use or have abandoned. Any homemade tools ???

Col

Ian_M

Much the same as Col, bobbin holder, scissors, hackle pliers and dubbing needle are all that I've ever used. I was taught to whip finish and it's one of those things that you find impossible but once learned seems so easy.
Ian

Wildfisher

Bobbin holders (lots of)
Hackle pliers
Scissors in various shapes and sizes
Scalpel
Dubbing needle
Dressmaking pins (for clearing varnish from hook eyes etc)
Top E guitar string 10 gauge (Fender or Gibson of course) (for clearing varnish from small hook eyes)
Whip finish tool
Stacker

River Chatter

Just the basics for me too...

Bobbin holder,hackle pliers, scissors, dubbing needle, whip finish tool and hair stacker. Nothing home-made or innovative from me I'm afraid - no imagination, which for a fly tyer aint a good thing!  :?

Crawhin

Homemade tools - As an emergeny or additional bobin holder try using a large wooden (spring type) clothes peg - does the same job of weigting down the bobin and stopping it from unravelling. Has the advantage of being cheap (free if you knock them from yer maw) and easier to swap over than standard type bobin holders. Other makeshift item I'd never be without is a pair of fine nail clippers for snipping things very close that might blunt good scissors.

Cheers,

Ian

haresear

Bobbin holder, scissors, whip finish tool, stacker, bobbin threader, a big pin to apply superglue with.

I have other stuff too, like hackle pliers, dubbing loop twister etc. but very rarely use them.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Crawhin

Been looking into my box of flytying junk and am reminded that I also use a couple of different quills for applying varnish - seem to work for me rather than the big pin. Also the old favourite for roughing up dubbed bodies on (larger) flees of a bit of velcro (the hook side) stuck on a lolipop stick.

Ian

paulr

Bobbin holder
Hackle Pliers
Sharp Scissors
Old Scissors-for cutting wire etc
2 needles-one for applying varnish and glue, another for clearing the eye of the hook

lnelson20

Bobbin holder
Scissors
Hackle pliers
Needles for varish

A rare wee tip the nail clippers,have to remember that.

Chris
c.nelson

lnelson20

No mention of a gallows tool,is nobody well hung on this forum :D

Chris
c.nelson

Go To Front Page