News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tying vises

Started by Pete, January 17, 2009, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

What do you use or would you recommend??

I have a birthday looming :D :D :D

cheers Pete

Malcolm

I use a simple Weaver lever vice very cheap but reliable hook holding and that's all I want. A quick internet search shows it her half way down the page

http://www.wharfedaleangling.co.uk/Vices.htm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

I use a cheap regent vice, it can take any size of hook and rotates enough for my needs.  I particullarly live the lever action, no pussy footin' about with different hook sizes:D

Norm

rabbitangler

After nearly forty years of tying I got myself a real waldron vice last year. for five years before that I was using one of the snowbee rotary vices (not the snowbee waldron type) and found it a cracking vice. Though if I was to be picky the knuckle joint on the stem can be a pain if you don't tighten it up fully. There is one without that joint which a friend uses happily.

Peter

Clan Chief

Same as Clan ford I use a regent with a solid base I also have the clamp version . In my opinion it suits all fly tying needs. Like Clan ford I reallly like the lever action of holding the hook.
I can't for the life of me understand why people will purchase vices in the 2 to 3 hundered quid bracket for the simple function of holding a hook and dressing it.

scotfly

The Regent vice is a good serviceable and cheap vice which will give you many years service. ?20.00 delivered http://www.anglers-lodge.co.uk/product/category/25867/ROTATING_REGENT_VICE I had one and tied 1000's of flies on it before I sold it on and upgraded to.....
A step up, but still a "side lever," like the Regent, is the Weaver "Scottie" ?60 delivered http://www.oreillysfishing.co.uk/acatalog/OReillys_Fishing_Fly_tying_vices_Weaver_and_Snowbee_Waldron_14.html  again, I had one of these and if it's in your budget is the vice I would recommend.
After that the world is your oyster, according to your budget. Anything from Anvil, HMH, Dyna-King, etc will be good, all the way up to the LAW at ?450.

Quote from: Clan Chief on January 18, 2009, 12:39:26 AM
I can't for the life of me understand why people will purchase vices in the 2 to 3 hundered quid bracket for the simple function of holding a hook and dressing it.
Me neither, I would never use such a cheap vice.  :roll:  :crap
Clan Chief, like everything in life, you get what you pay for. If you want the best, can afford it and justify the cost, then why not?
I tie 1000's of flies every season, flytying is my passion. I wanted the best and could afford it at the time, and after a great deal of thought I bought the LAW. Could I justify the cost? Yes, I love the aesthetics of it, it's functionality, its ability to do everything I ask of it, and more. It has increased my flytying pleasure.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotfly on January 18, 2009, 01:52:35 AM
It has increased my flytying pleasure.

And what else is there to any hobby?  Same with  tackle, buy what adds to your pleasure.

Ian_M

QuoteMakes you want to get a broon jaiket and a pipe.

and ...

a steel rule and selection of pens for the top pocket.
Ian

Wildfisher

by the way it's tying VICES

....................you guys  and your fucking Americanisms really piss me off sometimes ........... man I mean it's all so totally bogus dude  .......we have high standards of proper English to maintain here y'all    :makefun

haresear

Quote.......we have high standards of proper English to maintain here y'all   

Och whit urr ye blabberin aboot ma loon? :D Wur command o' the languge is second tae nane :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page