News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Which flies for Sutherland

Started by scottish-loch-lad, January 20, 2009, 04:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottish-loch-lad

Afternoon,

As im planning atrip to Assynt/Scourie in June, id like to have everything i need in way of tackle long before i set off.

Is there a certain type of fly that i should be considering for this at that time of year?

Are kate mclarens, bibios, soldier palmers, bloody butchers, pennels, invictas all suitable?

Im not really sure of what to use when if im honest.

Chris

scottish-loch-lad

thanku. ill make sure i have plenty of the above.

ive often struggled to find a nylon light enuf to not stand out that doesnt coil on the surface when using dries tho.

any suggestions? should i use dries only when its calm? early or late?

Malcolm

I would be happy fishing a hopper almost all the time.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scottish-loch-lad

Thanks for the advice guys. That makes sense.

I use sinkant like in a tub form but with 3lb nylon its all just kinking on the surface. The 6ln doesnt but i can see it. Maybe just need more mud on the line.

Gives me a good picture of when to try dries. not just when theyre rising for them but pretty much whenever i fancy. I guess that if its cold or blowing a gale then i should still be venturing down deeper.

The hopper is different from the daddy? Sorry for being a pie, i just wanna make sure.

Chris

Wildfisher

Quote from: breac uaig on January 20, 2009, 08:14:39 PM
stick to what you feel comfortable with and experiment round that, most of the classic flies work up there
, breac uaig

and sometimes none of them work..............................................old or new................. :D

Wildfisher

Don't forget a few Stimulators and a couple of Chernobyl ants.....................Bandy Catcher and my son Martin had good success a few years ago with Humpies and Grey Wulffs

haresear

Quoteive often struggled to find a nylon light enuf to not stand out that doesnt coil on the surface when using dries tho.

QuoteI use sinkant like in a tub form but with 3lb nylon its all just kinking on the surface. The 6ln doesnt but i can see it. Maybe just need more mud on the line.

Chris, it sounds to me that you mean the leader isn't straightening out when you cast, but lying in coils?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scottish-loch-lad

aye alex thats whats happening. heavy coilage

haresear

Quoteaye alex thats whats happening. heavy coilage

Sounds like your leader is simply failing to straighten and that could be caused by a number of things. Are you using a tapered leader Chris? It is more efficient at transferring energy down to your fly and straightening out the leader.

If you are already using a tapered leader, then it is most likely that you are throwing a wide casting loop which will cause the leader to collapse in a heap when casting into any sort of a wind. Let me know your leader make up Chris and if it sounds like a casting issue, I'll try to help over on the "casting" board as best I can, without having seen you cast.

Sorry for the digression. Back to the flies.... :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

scottish-loch-lad

Thanks for the advice. Ill try that and see how i go.

Could we start a list of good potential flies for my Sutherland outings. Im gonna go April and June. If i can get a difinative list, i'll jump onto selectafly and buy buy buy.

1. Kate McLaren
2. Bibio
3. Black Pennel
4. Claret Bumble

Go To Front Page