News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Head Cement

Started by Wildfisher, January 22, 2009, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_M

Quote from: admin on January 26, 2009, 11:18:01 AM
There are some really great tiers here

Who also take a mean photo.
Ian

drumgerry

Re head cement.  Any tips on applying the stuff?  I just use a dubbing needle but the stuff's so thin it's not too satisfactory.  I like the little bottles with the thin metal tubes which you can use to apply it but haven't found a way to stop them from gunking up and becoming useless.

Cheers

Gerry

.D.

Quote from: Tim on January 26, 2009, 10:44:29 AM
Thanks .D.

Like the Sedge coachman thing. Does it work?

Tim

Thanks Tim ( and you other people! :)),

Does it work?

Yes, and very well.

It's really just a Wright's Royal with the band at the tip, rather than as a waist. With a furnace hackle. As the tag is varnished and the herl is treated as described above it's a lot tougher though. And far quicker to tie. My No.1 searching dry fly last season.

Cheers, 

.D.

Tim

...that's a proper answer. Another one for the tying list!

Thanks

Tim

drumgerry

Quote from: wee bri on January 26, 2009, 06:28:45 PM
I don't use the applicator bottles myself Gerry but Turpentine, white spirit or brush cleaner fluid from your local DIY should do the trick.

wee bri.......

Thanks Bri - sounds like I'll be able to clear the applicator tubes out after all!

Gerry

The General

.D. on your second fly what is the hook please

Davie

.D.

Quote from: The General on January 27, 2009, 10:37:56 PM
.D. on your second fly what is the hook please

Davie

Tiemco 206BL. Not a hook I use that much to be honest.

Cheers,

.D.

The General

I like the shape of the hook and it appears to be barbless and very sharp.   There was an earlier post where there was a similar hook and the details
were given but I am unable to find it.   If you do not particularly like that hook what would you use as an alternative.

Thank you
Davie

.D.

Quote from: The General on January 27, 2009, 11:01:16 PM
I like the shape of the hook and it appears to be barbless and very sharp.   There was an earlier post where there was a similar hook and the details
were given but I am unable to find it.   If you do not particularly like that hook what would you use as an alternative.

Thank you
Davie

It is barbless and very sharp.

I've tied that fly on several of different hooks (often in different proportions). That's a weighted version on a curved hook, but it's most effective as a standard (longer) hackled wet fly with or without a little weight. I often just eat up a little bit of the bend on more conventionally shaped hooks if I want a bit of a curved profile. Just use the hooks you like, even if they are the fabled Varivas 2200  :makefun.

.D.

The General

Thank you .D.  I did not realise that Fulling Mill did tiemco hooks.   I use Fulling Mill 31150 super sedge for my size 16 cdc/elk and am very impressed with
them overall, but they are difficult to debarb.  (they were ?2.75 for 50 in Coventry)

Davie

Go To Front Page