News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Mourning geckos
Last post by SoldierPmr - Today at 09:31:20 PM
I love reptiles. I had a bearded dragon when I was in the army. The guys always found him fascinating. Some of them would end up eating the locust after a night out ::). I ended up having to rehome him when I got with my ex wife. Was the biggest bearded I've ever seen too.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Mourning geckos
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 09:10:06 PM
Fascinating stuff! :)
I'm just so out of touch with the price of all things aquarium!   ;D
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Fish Tank One Of N
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 08:42:02 PM
Quote from: Jon on Today at 08:39:06 PMCichlids are a great choice as they're some of the most interesting fish you can keep. Particularly when breeding.

Kept and bred quite a few in the old days. Had some real crackers.
Last post by Jon - Today at 08:39:06 PM
Sounds good. Cichlids are a great choice as they're some of the most interesting fish you can keep. Particularly when breeding.
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 08:36:40 PM
Mainly cichlids Jon, but we shall see. I have got a hell of a lot to re-learn. It's been 40 years. Tank is ordered and the guy from the shop will deliver and set it up for me on 12th May. This is useful as I live alone and could not an handle a 240 ltr tank myself. I'm just going to take it slowly.
Last post by Jon - Today at 07:44:08 PM
Sounds good. What are you planning on keeping?
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Albino Bristle Nose Plecos
Last post by Jon - Today at 07:40:35 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on Yesterday at 08:24:47 PMI see a guy on the Dundee Fish Keepers FB group is  destocking and selling 3 adults (2 males) for £25 each plus some juveniles at £15. Is the deal good?

It's at the higher end of acceptable. But if they're proven, which it seems they are and also a good size and decent quality I'd go for them if that's what you want.

You'll make your money back with the offspring in no time.

Just feed then spilurina pellets, the odd bit of protein and pieces of courgette (holds together better than cucumber), bell pepper and sweet potato etc.

And have a gravel vac ready because they really are poo machines! A decent power filter is ideal too.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Mourning geckos
Last post by Jon - Today at 07:37:05 PM
Not quite fishkeeping I know. But the kids wanted pet lizards last year. I ended up getting them three baby Mourning geckos (Lepidodactylus lugubris).

This species is most unusual as they're all female and breed via parthenogenesis. Basically they lay self fertilised eggs, cloning themselves... A hardcore feminists dream?

Anyway, today I found two eggs on the front of the vivarium door. Apparently they will hatch in two to six months depending on temperature.

Trying to remove the eggs from the door is likely to damage them apparently. And the parents can exhibit cannibalism. So I need to find some kind of mesh and temporarily glue it over the eggs to catch and protect the babies from their mother. Or face major trauma from the kids!  ;D

This is what the adults look like. They're tiny and won't get bigger than 10cm including tail.

Go To Front Page