News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Material colours

Started by Malcolm, August 17, 2008, 10:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Malcolm I've always found the colour more effective in poor light for some reason, you know the last dusk glow sort of thing. Very interested in your results perhaps there is something in particular that makes this colour work on occasion. I think I will give a similar go at the colours in the estuary perhaps with something shiny mixed in.

Do keep us posted on your final thoughts post season - its these little snippets cleaned over years form others that makes the sport so intersting for me.

Sandy B.O. 

Malcolm

Ok then, end of season in a couple of days so my extended trial is over! For context I'm out for at least a couple of hours, often more, most days.

Result is that it's been much less successful than I would have imagined. Having said that I've had a couple of out of season ferox brownies which have run up from Loch Lomond and a couple of salmon and two or three sea trout.

I have had plenty other sea trout and salmon over the past few weeks in low water conditions when I went back to my usual low water nymphs (and dries for seatrout) but while the water was suitable I stuck with the blue salmon flies. I've been on the water enough times now, seeing what others are catching to be fairly sure that, at least in autumn, the golds and yellows of my normal patterns would have done better. Whit a daft idea!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

sandyborthwick

I wonder if its a sea sort of colour Malcolm, think I'll tie afew variations and a bit of silver sparkle for a few trials in saltwater. I'm sure its got to work for seatrout waiting to run the burns - very sandeel like for colour. I'll let you know if I find success my best colours to date for Sea fly fishing are bright orange and clarets, a bit of silver mixed in seems to make them more effective. The addition of a JC eye either side also seems to work sometimes as a trigger.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page