News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonepark and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

SoldierPmr

First of the loch flys.

[attachimg=1]

pedropete

nice one,love that colour combo!!

rannoch raider

Not been saying much lately because I'm run ragged with domestic stuff. Managed to get the tying gear out for a wee while tonight which was great as I've really fallen behind with tying plans for the coming season. Anyway, I've sort of decided to cut back on the amount of patterns I use and concentrate on a few good ones. For me, nymphs for trout are really going to be Pheasant Tails and Hare's Ears with a couple of others such as something simple, easy and quick to knock up along the lines of the Baetis that Oliver Edwards does.
I think the two tone body in his pattern is a dead cert trigger point so I've been trying a few ways to get that effect..................... Does it work and is it necessary ?

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Robbie

That is a cracking looking fly, I'd bet a fair bit that it will work and well!!

I've no idea how much of a trigger the two tone effect is but it look good.

Robbie

Recently came across a pattern called a game changer, looks like a great fly and I intend to try and tie a couple for pike. Also came across an article in a magazine about mini-minkies, this gave me an idea for a small articlulated fly for brown trout. Still very much a work in progress but here's the MK1 prototype:

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

The use of streamers seems to be gaining in popularity Robbie. Scott (Scooby) has been tying some serious fur and feathered metal for swinging through them. I think I'll have a go at it come summer. I like that wee minky esq job its bound to take fish. One of the best river brownies I've ever caught came to a 3 inch copper tube Willie Gunn while salmon fishing on the Tummel.  :shock:

rannoch raider

Still playing around with nymphs. I do like movement and skinny bodies but this probably needs a tidy up, shorter legs and a wee bit fatter might make it a contender for a March Brown type pattern ? The Mk 2 will be hatching shortly

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

you might like this one chaps. aiming for the big barbel in spain with this, although carp & bass like them too. certainly the streamer idea for trout is catching on, not just from a "chuck-it-and-chance-it" salmon-style swing, but also as a targeted approach with a varied retrieve. Kelly Galloup's book was way ahead of its time for the UK and Oliver Edwards was a dab hand with them  :8)
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Plenty of attraction built into that one Dave.

pedropete

hi Robbie good to see you back at the vice, what have you used on the first baetis body?? I've been busy tying loch style chironomid nymphs, not really wild trout fodder.

Go To Front Page