News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fears harsh winter harmed UK wildlife

Started by Wildfisher, March 19, 2010, 11:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

Not quite wildlife but my wife's collegue is married to a farmer, they have had an excellent lambing sesoan and lost fewer lambs than for years and that was with lambing taking place two weeks a go in the snow.  Seems that the lambs were fittest and healthiest born for a while :dunno

Norm

Inchlaggan

Whilst we had a pretty cold time of it from December 18th to March 10th, there does not seem to be much effect (other than a serious depletion of my logpile).
All of the little birds are back in their usual numbers- if anything slightly more siskins, but then again I could just be seeing more as I fed nearly 50kg of seed and nuts over the period.
Lizards and butterflies are in evidence, there is spawn in the ditches, and ten minutes ago I spotted our returning osprey.
Bullfinches and buzzards are courting, the wagtail is at its usual site under the eaves, blue tits are inspecting the nesting boxes, and the bats are out at around 7pm.
A small amount of fly life, ants are moving, bees I have seen.
The daffodils came out yesterday.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

paulr

Saw a wren and a kingfisher on the kelvin this afternoon, so there are at least one of each left.Never saw any fish though  :(

burnie

Quote from: paulr on April 12, 2010, 06:42:30 PM
Saw a wren and a kingfisher on the kelvin this afternoon, so there are at least one of each left.Never saw any fish though  :(

If they breed will we get wringfishers or kens?

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on April 12, 2010, 08:25:48 PM
Saw a few of these rising today:

Looks like bloated stockie.

On buzzers were they?   :lol:

Go To Front Page