News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Leeda Volare IV???

Started by caorach, August 01, 2016, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

Has anyone used one of these?

It is a bit late to ask now, to be honest, as I've just ordered 2 of them. They are relatively inexpensive and I have another Leeda rod that I just love as it is the ideal job for wild trout in wild places plus salmon and sea trout.

The two on order are 11 foot in a 7 and a 4 weight and they were about £60 each. They are 4 piece rods whereas my normal "loch" rod is a 2 piece so the plan is that they might be easier for a bit of backpacking. I also know a young lad who is starting fishing and who might be going to show some interest and aptitude so it will be handy to have a rod to lend him etc.

I do have a 4 weight 10 foot rod on a Sage blank but it is a 3 piece, so a little long to carry broken down on the backpack, plus it is a little fast for me. I do sometimes use it for trout and even the small trout give good sport on it but if I have a "spare" in the shape of the Leeda then I might also give it a try for the smaller sea trout. Now I know there is always the risk of hitting a bigger one, or a salmon, but I think it would be great sport to chase sea trout around the pound mark with a 4 weight.

corsican dave

yep, I've got the 11' 4wt sitting in a corner. i got it thinking i'd do some nymphing. i set it up once and decided it was a bit cumbersome for me. I guess I just don't get on with longer rods. I've got a mate who uses one for grayling on the clyde and thinks it's the business. different folks...  :lol:if anyone wants it, along with an unused Stillwater black shadow reel (or if you fancy a second one for your pal), drop me a pm!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

caorach

I'm looking at it for loch fishing for browns mostly, and maybe for the smaller sea trout later in the season, so I'm well used to fishing longer rods - I almost always use an 11 foot rod for a 7 weight so even a 6 weight feels light to me :-)

I have two Orvis Battenkill reels that I'm going to try on the 4 weight rod as I'm trying not to spend much cash on this venture. One is a 5/6 reel with a 5 weight line on it that has probably only been used a few times, though it is at least 20 years old, and the other is a 3/4 weight reel that also has a line on it (4 weight) and has seen very little use, again it is probably 15 - 20 years old. On testing I find that the 4 weight reel is "rubbing" a little bit and there is a little ding on the edge of it so, perhaps, I've dropped it at some time though I've no recollection of this. However, it isn't binding and it is just a slight rub so it will probably do my job. As it is I might end up with the 5 weight on the 4 weight rod anyhow as I'm a bad caster and find it helps a bit to have a heavier line on some rods.

With being such a bad caster it seems to me that inexpensive rods, which I guess are more forgiving, actually suit me better. I love my 6 weight 11 foot Sage but this was designed, as I recall, to be softer and more suited to "British" anglers but I don't get on quite so well with the 10 foot 4 weight Sage as it feels more like casting with a stiff stick to me. Yes, I could learn how to cast well and load the rod up and... try doing that in the most windy inhabited place on earth and it soon stops looking like a great idea especially with a 4 weight line :-)

Go To Front Page