News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rio VersiTip fly lines

Started by caorach, August 03, 2016, 12:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

I almost always fish a floater, but it would be handy to have a sinker or sink tip now and again. I was looking at one of these multi-tip type lines as an option as it saves the hassle of separate spools and so on.

Has anyone used one? Do they work?

Some considerable time back I remember you could get leaders (maybe from Airflo) of different sink rates that were, sort of, an extension to your fly line rather than a "leader" as such. I tried them and they were a disaster when it came to casting them as there was a lot of hinging and flapping about and tangles. Clearly I don't want to spend big money on a fly line only to find it has exactly the same problems.

Lochan_load

I've got a clear intermediate versi tip for my Rio afs outbound, it's a loop to loop and once it's on you don't (or at least I don't) notice it's there.

Hill loch gold

I only use such lines for salmon fishing. Never tried them for troot

caorach

Quote from: Hill loch gold on August 03, 2016, 01:36:02 PM
I only use such lines for salmon fishing. Never tried them for troot

Yes, I basically use one rod for everything so it would be trout on lochs plus some (limited) salmon and sea trout in lochs and rivers. Now I don't need super fine presentation and it will be a 7 weight rod setup but I was a bit concerned that it would be like launching a huge lump of plastic out across the loch when I was trout fishing and I guess that is the sort of reservation you are expressing as well :-)

Lochan_load

My one is a 9 wt Spey line, no idea what it would be like on a 7 for overhead casting....only one way to find out!

Laxdale

Buy a cheap floating line, cut off the front taper, and use polyleaders of varying lengths and densities.

shad

Got a rio versitip  in Canada last year for my 8 wt,  must say it works really well and takes the hassle out of matching tips to  a line.

It casts great with each tip, only negative is the price  over here and that it didn't come with the fastest sinking tip which is 8 inches per second so I had to buy one of those as well.

Go To Front Page