News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bison Breathables - Take 2

Started by Wildfisher, April 10, 2011, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

So far so good. They got what would be pretty much a full season at home's  use when I was in New Zealand and I have used them since - no leaks!

However, beware -  the front chest pocket is not in the slightest bit  waterproof. Ask my wallet, money, credit cars and mobile phone if you don't believe me.    :roll:

Wildfisher

They are fine Brian. They are quite thin compared to more expensive waders, but for 60 quid you can't go wrong. You could pay 3 or 4 x as much and only get 2 x the life. If I get a this  season out of mine I'll be happy enough.

east wind

I'm about to embark on a third season with them. They are fine, any leaks have been small and self inflicted, be careful with trailing hooks, as Fred says they are quite thin, but were sent as part of a job lot to DiverDave.

Sorted.

ps have to add that the Bison boots are heavy. Would suit Frankenstein
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

diverdave

Breathability of waders always gets me thinking. Moisture passes through a membrane due to a moisture pressure differential. Basically there is more moisture inside than outside, and the temperature is warmer inside so in theory the moisture is wicked away through the material. It creates a microclimate.

However we rarely see beads of moisture on the outside of a wader when we are just standing outside the hut on a hot day. So are they breathing, or just thin and cool?

I also wonder how a pressure and temperature differential is created with a bloody great hole in the top where the wee fat angler goes in my case!

Are the most comfortable waders the thinnest and lightest ones or the ones that breath best? In lab conditions it is easy to see material breath and it certainly works, i am even told it works whilst wading, though i have never fully understood how this is possible. However in practical use it is difficult to visualise how they will work well. What is certainly true is that waders that are damp inside, and sealed at the top will never dry out.

can anyone explane?

Wildfisher

When Goretex first came out some people actually expected it to stop them sweating. Ah the power of marketing!   

Malcolm

Dave,

I've wondered about breathables too. Membrane jackets like Goretex are only breathable when the coating on the jacket repels water to the extent that the water balls up and rolls off and the outer skin of the jacket stays dry. Once the outer skin absorbs water then it has all the breathabilty of PVC. So the same is true of breathable waders. Yet I don't know of anyone treating breathables every six months with a water repellant coating. There's no doubt about it though that breathables feel so much more comfortable but on a hot day after walking at the end of the day you do realise that they aren't very breathable at all - after a couple of miles you'll be drookit.. As far as jackets are concerned I'm fairly well convinced that the design as much as the materials are responsible for comfort and staying dry. However I've taken off a new Goretex jacket at the end of a rainy spell in the hills and the inside has been literally dripping with condensation.The material that Paramo and Cioch uses seems to be much better but the outer layer is much less suitable for fishing as although extremely tough it is also as thin as paper and I know that it doesn't like hooks
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

As Dave knows I'm pretty hard on waders :roll:  Which means over the years I've tried a fair few makes and models.  I can't say I've noticed much difference between the cheapest and the most expensive.  To me it all about fit, the better the fit the better the performance of the waders.  There has been one exception - a pair of Snowbee's, I thought that they just seeped water as I was always damp.  However, I discovered, after an abortive attempt at fishing due to high water, that I was still damp without ever wading.  Quite simply the breathability was considerably worse that any other waders I wear. So it would appear that all waders are more breathable than my snowbee's :lol:

whinging pom

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 11, 2011, 05:39:27 PM
As Dave knows I'm pretty hard on waders :roll:  Which means over the years I've tried a fair few makes and models.  I can't say I've noticed much difference between the cheapest and the most expensive.  To me it all about fit, the better the fit the better the performance of the waders.  There has been one exception - a pair of Snowbee's, I thought that they just seeped water as I was always damp.  However, I discovered, after an abortive attempt at fishing due to high water, that I was still damp without ever wading.  Quite simply the breathability was considerably worse that any other waders I wear. So it would appear that all waders are more breathable than my snowbee's :lol:

Interesting to read that. My kid brother came and did a few weeks fishing in NZ with me a couple of years back..... wearing Snowbee breathables bought for the trip. He whinged about the sweat and dampness the whole time.
The last thing he did before leaving the country was throw them in a trash can.
I said '' What a waste! You could at least have given them to someone else!'' but he reckoned he didn't know anyone that he hated that much.

Wildfisher

Well, I suppose it was too good to last. The Bisons have stared to leak!   :roll:   Adding together a trip to NZ plus hard use this season it amounts  to a good season of use. That's about all I expected to be honest. At ?70 new  they are just not worth sending to Diverdave.

I have found one serious flaw with Bison, there only seems to be one supplier, so when they are out of stock you are stuffed. I can't get them in large right now which is no good.

I have just ordered a pair of Vision "Keeeprs" Just over ?100. Let's see how long they last   :lol:

Wildfisher

Don't worry Jim, mine really have had a hard work  out and even expensive waders leak. Buy cheap buy often seems to be the best way.

Go To Front Page