News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tippet Material Recommendations?

Started by Wildfisher, May 02, 2023, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin devine

I mostly use Maxima Ultra Green for wet fly fishing especially if I'm fishing from a boat,  and either Preston Power Pro or Gigafish Ultra for dries or nymphs.
I tend to buy it by diameter rather than breaking strain and generally go for .20mm for the Maxima and .16mm to .18mm for the other two.

Hill loch gold

I use stroft abr for dries and for pulling flies now. Stopped using fluoro

johnny boy

Maxima for me, i am almost always fishing teams of wets, the stiffness helps reduce wind knots and kinks.

I also find it gives the right amount of stretch I am looking for.

You go with what you have confidence in I suppose.

IanR

Drennan sub—surface for me (I rarely fish dry).

ianmck

Not so much tippet, I just fish one continuous long leader of drennan sub surface for both wets and drys.
On one hand I have heard many people claim that fish get spooked if they can see your leader. On the other hand, I have had fish rise to my flies when they have been snagged around my fly line.

johnesmithson

There is a debate currently raging on 'another forum' about tippet choice, and specifically the age-old nylon versus fluorocarbon controversy. Personally I am very happy with Maxima Ultragreen if I'm fishing wets, and I feel confident enough to use it in 6lb or 8lb for lochs which hold grilse and sea trout. It's about matching the tippet diameter to fly size to optimize presentation, but also taking into account wind and wave. For dry fly on the river (when I'm typically after small wild brownies in moorland streams) I find Reflo Power is excellent. My mate who fishes with me in the Hebrides is a fluorocarbon fanatic, and it does seem to work well in the specific setting of the sea-pools when the water is really clear. On the other hand, I challenged him to a head-to-head when we were boat fishing in Lewis last year, and Ultragreen was the clear winner. Add to that a certain ghillie who has frequented this forum not allowing fluorocarbon in his boat, and I think I know what I will be using until I'm pushing up the daisies.

Wildfisher

Quote from: johnesmithson on May 03, 2023, 07:02:16 PMThere is a debate currently raging on 'another forum' about tippet choice,.
The usual good natured, respectful exchanges we all came to love I expect.  ;D

scoobyscott

Stroft abr for me on rivers mostly between 0.10 and 0.14mm diameter. On lochs I use fulling mill flouro

east wind

After binning fluro many years ago, I'm back on it with Grand Max over the last couple of seasons.
Guy I sometimes fish with put me on it though he's probably moved onto something else by now.
Anyway, the stuff knots well, turns a fly over and been more consistent than Rio. Also no cheap.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Stonepark

At the moment, fishing with Fulling Mill Xtra Copolymer (old spools), Maxcatch Copolymer and Maxcatch Chameleon (both bought last year).
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Go To Front Page