News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green tailed Kate

Started by bluezulu, May 17, 2006, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluezulu

I've always considered the Kate Mclaren a bit of a banker and its rarely off my cast for loch fishing. But i notice a lot of people endorsing a green tailed variety.

are we talking fluorescent green here?

not that my fly tying skills are up to a kate mclaren (hackle troubles) but so i know what i'm looking for...

Fierybroon

Definatly flourescent green.Thanks to Johnsd for the donation at Eigheach.Never fished one before and what a difference.

ten boaber

Definately the green tailed one early in the season
By the middle to late summer I tend to move back to the
other one.

Storr

Tail of Glo-Brite No 8 also works well from June onwards.
Gerry

bluezulu

ok, stupid question time: so the green tail on this ends up looking like the tail on a zulu (except for the colour obviously) rather than the fine tippet tail of the original Kate?

tammytroot

Another useful variationis Sunburst Orange Marabou. Very useful on Carron Valley.
                      Tight Lines To You All,
                                                Tammy Troot.

Storr

Hear is my Kate with No 8 Glo-Brite floss tail.
Cheers
Gerry

Storr

As the Kate has more than stood the test of time over the years and as we are all friends I have decided to reveal probably my two most successful variants of this excellent allrounder. This first one I have called my "SPECIAL KATE". Since I first featured this one in an article in FF&FT a few years back it has proved very succesful for all who have tried it.

TAIL: GP Crest dyed Sunburst
RIB: Fine gold wire - Rear Half only
BODY: Rear half only - Black Seals Fur
BODY: Front Half - 3 turns of soft black hen with 3 turns of soft brown hen in front. I prefer to use hen neck hackles.
Finally ad a pair of JC cheeks to complete the fly.

I will post my other favourite variant, the "Claret Kate" later this evening.
Cheers
Gerry

Ian_M

Must say that fly looks a real killer and beautifully tied as well.
Ian

Gander

I have used number 12 Globrite floss on this pattern for years. Read recently that the number 11 shade is better on the surface, with number 12 being more effective deeper down. I tied up a handful with number 11 tails last night; gave them a ginger hackle for a change also.

Been toying with the idea of a claret version, so I'm looking forward to seeing Gerry's.

Go To Front Page