News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green tailed Kate

Started by bluezulu, May 17, 2006, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storr

As promised here is my second Kate variant the "Claret Kate". I tried many variations with Claret head hackles in various forms, and a Claret seals fur body but all seemed to kill the pattern and after several tyings throughout most of 2004 this pattern with just a hint of Claret started producing the goods. Perfect on a dull overcast day or when daylight starts to fade. Has taken fish in every position.

CLARET KATE

THREAD: UNI RED 8/0
HOOK: KAMASAN B175 or equivalent. 10 - 14
TAIL: GP Crest dyed Electric Hot Red
BUTT: Two turns of gold tinsel
BODY: Black Seals fur
RIB: Fine gold wire
BODY HACKLE: Red game dyed Claret.
HEAD HACKLE: Nat Brown Hen from a hen neck.

Cheers
Gerry

ChildOfTheMist

Guys,

any recommendations as to where I can buy some green-tailed Kate's?

I'd love to be able to tie them myself but I've never tied a flee in ma puff...

I can find a few but I'd rather hear recommendations as to where I'll find guid quality flies.

Many thanks,

Davy

ChildOfTheMist

Thanks John,

Exactly what I'm after. Many thanks for the link.

Davy

bluezulu

just awaiting my first order from gerry myself...if the fish think they look half as good as i think they look then i'll be fighting them off.

should have ordered some of those claret kates i think....

Storr

Blue Zulu
Confirm your Name by PM an if order has not been despatched will put in a Claret Kate.
Gerry

Sodger Muddler

I tied a dozen GTK over the weekend  6 size 10 6 size 12,3 of each with JC cheeks .I had a good day yesterday taking fish on the GTK on the bob and the tail just shows how versatile she is  :wink:

Gander

I'm just back from Caithness. My fly of the trip was a green tailed Kate: number 11 floss with a ginger cock hackle. First time I have ever caught more fish on a middle dropper fly than the point and top dropper put together.

Full report will be out in some form later.

Go To Front Page