News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Greatest Loch Wet Flies Of All Time

Started by Wildfisher, October 30, 2006, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Forget your deer hair emergers, ? hogs and the like for a momnent and get back to basics.

For me it has to be :

Silver Invicta
Butcher

These   are brilliant flies because I believe they represent a massive range of fish foods and almost never fail to take a fish. I would never go loch fishing without a few of these in my box in various sizes

What about yours?

murray1228

For me it would have to be the Black Pennel. I have caught loads of trout, a fair number of sea trout and even the occasional salmon on this pattern. It has saved me many a blank day. Also I find it absolutely essential for early season fishing (March/April).

Cheers, Murray

silverbutcher

Have to agree with crocach. Kate McLaren always first on, and rarely comes off. even if changing the bob I will move it to middle or on occasions, the tail.

Billy

nant_fisher

Bibio! saved many a blank day on a loch when i've chucked it on.
Adventure time

greenwell

Kate Mclaren
Butcher
Blae and Black
Silver Invicta
Alexandra
Black and Peacock spider ( early season )

I would never be without any of these, and would quite happily fish with only these six the whole season and not feel at a disadvantage. Whether I will ever own a box with only these patterns in it is another matter :? Sizes 10, 12, 14 and 16 would cover just about any eventuality.

Wildfisher

Quote from: greenwell on October 30, 2006, 07:36:56 PM
Kate Mclaren
Butcher
Blae and Black
Silver Invicta
Alexandra
Black and Peacock spider ( early season )

A superb choice. I too could fish with that lot all season. There is also the benefit  that by pulling the wing off the blae and black you have a black pennel!  Two  flies for the price of one!

lnelson20

I would certainly add the connie black to the list,good reliable pattern :)

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

lnelson20

But do you fish it with any conviction Steve :wink: :lol:It's back to the old what will work for some will not for other's Steve,stick a white head hackle on it,you will be hauling them oot :wink:

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

lnelson20

Quote from: Ardbeg on October 31, 2006, 01:11:45 AM
Quote from: lnelson20 on October 31, 2006, 12:24:59 AM
But do you fish it with any conviction Steve :wink: :lol:It's back to the old what will work for some will not for other's Steve,stick a white head hackle on it,you will be hauling them oot :wink:

All the best

Chris.

Ah Chris, a white heid hackle, now there's an idea :D.

It's a really bonnie flea and I've fished it when blae and black and pennels have been catching so really expected a fish or two but nought :(.  Just one of those flees for me.

Cheers

Ardbeg

Very rarely my first choice Steve,but has saved my bacon on a few occassion's,suppose this is why it alway's command's a place in my box.The claret bumble is my downfall,love the look of it as well :?

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Malcolm

Almost never used loch traditionals this year except on Loch Leven in September.Where it's Silver invicta, Hardy's Gold butcher and always a Peter Ross on the tail. Occasionally use a claret dabbler.

I reckon last year 95% of my fish were caught on dry flies, nymphs and this years big discovery - "north country" spiders - snipe and purple and partridge and orange - do these count?. 

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page