News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scrap heap challenge?

Started by col, December 14, 2008, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterbouys

Heres a nympth i tied with a fern. not sure if it will last to the start of the season unless i varnish as it will probably dry out.
Henry

Clan Ford

Brilliant Henry,

A vegitarian fly :lol: 

Norm

haresear

Henry if you tied a dry fly with that stuff and added legs it would be a grass hopper. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

thewaterbouys

Nice one Alex,  breac-uaig that stuff would make a good detached body very stong stuff.

Henry :D

Clan Ford

I've started collecting bits in a tin, so far I have:-

A bit mink fur from a coat used in the school's christmas panto
Some fine electrical cable which I'm hoping to get some copper wire from
Some lead foil from the neck of a champane bottle
Some ribbons and tinsel associated with christmas wrappings
Some quality street wrappers
An old flying C found on the river bank (thought the lead body might come in handy)
Various feathers found out and about (no genetic hackles so far though :shock:)
A cork - not sure for what?

I'd really like to find a dead starling or maybe a pheasant but none so far!

Norm

haresear

QuoteGoat hair from a fence

Breac you've not embraced the dry fly have you? :)

Those look nice. The goat hair might be a good alternative to deer hair.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Runarsson

Now I know the meaning of 'Armchair angling'...

When my "boss" moved in with me, my ugly armchair became her cat's domain. Her claws soon made it even uglier.

It took me several years to realize what it was actually made of... CHENILLE!!! An entire chenille armchair. Is it irony or what... that it has been standing undiscovered in my tying room ever since I first got me a tying room.
The day finally came, the day I had waited for. The cat is getting old and is starting to get troubled. Bladder related, kidney related, mental... who knows. But it started to pee a little here and there and often on the armchair. My fianc? got tired of spraying it and decided that it was time to replace it with something plastic. I cut me a big piece from its backside and then we threw it away.

Then it was time for "harvesting". I found a LOT of useful stuff in that piece... the strip on the picture is just a little piece I cut from it. Much left.

I would say in very natural looking colors too...

I had to try it and made an entire fly, dedicated to the cat... that I had never liked, but that I still was grateful to. (Without it, the chenille had been throwed away undiscovered.)

"Armchair Kissimurra"

Thread: 8/0, black
Tail: Cat guardhairs
Abdomen: Cat underfur
Rib: Armchair "weave thread"
Thorax: Armchair chenille, mottled light brown
Hackle: Cat guardhairs spun in dubbingloop

/Nick

The General

Sorry Hans but you used real fly tying thread instead of the armchair weave thread to start the fly so you are technically knocked out.   But good fly though.   :lol:

Davie

Runarsson

Quote from: The General on February 11, 2009, 05:51:34 PM
Sorry Hans but you used real fly tying thread instead of the armchair weave thread to start the fly so you are technically knocked out.   But good fly though.   :lol:

Davie
In the first post col says (and I quote) "from materials not specifically meant for fly tying apart from the hook and thread", so I never felt a 'technically knocking' fist...

/Nick

sandyborthwick

OK here it is................................................

The STOCKIE BASHER.

Works great after a few hick-ups :lol: :lol:

For the Cabin Fever and those who must visit bow holes to in a desperate effort for a cure.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page