News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hackles

Started by Pete, January 06, 2009, 01:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I have tried tying one of Scotflys shucking olive patterns and the para hackle fibres seem way too long once the hackle is wound on but the hackle feathers I have all seem too big.  What is the best method for judging the right size of feather before tying it on and am I better to buy a packet of hackles or a cape instead to get the smaller feathers?

Here is a photo which I hope shows the problem.

Thanks

Pete

Clan Ford

Hi Pete,

Its always a problem getting feathers that are small enough even from normal capes its worth investing in a "genetic" cape as they tend to be more uniform and you'll get more than one fly out of each hackle.  Maybe the simplest way to start is buy a few packs of Whiting 100's a bit pricey but they do what it says on the packet.  Have a look at this link, you might be able to get cheaper (or similliar) elsewhere.

https://www.lakelandflytying.com/1912/products/Whiting_100s_Saddle_Hackle_Packs.aspx

Norm

east wind

Pete, a good point made by Norm and John about investing in a good cape and sometimes its worth looking at them in a high street shop rather than online, then you can judge for yourself the length and numbers of suitable hackles before buying.

Expert i ain't, but what i was taught to do was before plucking out a hackle was check it for length against the hook size being used in the vice by turning the hackle into a u bend. The barbs of the hackle stick out. Put them at right angles to the hook and i was shown to pick a hackle length about 11/2 times the gape of the hook.

However that was for the auld fashioned dry fly, don't know if that is the ideal size for para flies. Don't think it would be too far away.

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Some good advice there. As John says genetic capes only LOOK expensive. they are not really.

Malcolm

I only use genetic hen (Metz or Keough) or saddle hackles. This is a much easier way to get top quality hackles and much cheaper. I prefer genetic hen hackles to anything else for my dry flies. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Pete

Thanks for all the responses, it is a big help.  I have been to buy stuff a couple of times over the hols and every time find my self daunted by the selection to choose from.  I will have to make a list and stick to it, I am awful for just picking up whatever looks useful even if it turns out I already have one, two or even three (if anyone needs pink thread just let me know :roll:)

Sounds like I will need to bite the bullet and go for genetic capes at some stage soon.

pete

rabbitangler

aybe try to get the half capes available from some sources, or buy with a friend and half two capes - you both then have two capes for the price of one!

Pete

Thanks for the info on mikes tackle, I'll pop in there and have a look.  There is just not enough time in the day...  I tied another of the same flies tonight and even picking the slimmest feather I could find amongst what I have it was still more than twice the gape and it was way too big.  But I am still gonna try fishing it come the troot season :lol:

Wee Bri, your right, virtually all my fishing is on rivers and mostly with dries so I am sure a couple of useful coloured capes wouldn't go wrong.

Pete

doogs

Your flly will still catch fish though !!  Doesn't look too bad to me.

silverbutcher

Many thanks John. Being a novice flytyer myself, I found that most helpful and informative.

All the best

Billy

Go To Front Page