News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

fly tying tools (what do you use)

Started by col, January 09, 2009, 10:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

When Goddard and Clarke brought out "The Educated Trout" I made my own gallows tool, to tie their USD.

It worked fine and was just a slice of bamboo taped to the vice stem, with a piece of mono attached to a hook. Cost nothing.

There are easier ways to tie USDs.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

Quote from: wee bri on January 10, 2009, 12:10:46 AM
Peter,
Have you ever tied any of Ian Moutter's dries where the hackle is tied parachute style around (usually) a loop of nylon which is brought forward and tied off at the eye?
Is there a method of tying this style of fly without a gallows tool?
I don't have a gallows tool either but fancy tying some of these flies.

wee bri.........

I honestly couldn't grasp the reason for paraloops when Ian first told me about them, but yeah if you want them tied Ian's way you need some sort of gallows tool. Do you use an anglepoise lamp when tying you can add a bit of wire/elastic/string to them and use them as a gallows. or you could use a length of yarn as a post & fold it over I suppose.

Peter

haresear

QuoteI honestly couldn't grasp the reason for paraloops

Me too. For me it is far easier to tie a parachute hackle around a post and we get a sighting point too.

People keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Maybe it is down to people keeping their name in the frame/rebranding :roll:

Alex

Protect the edge.

Fishtales

A pair of hackle pliers hung from the hook and clamped to your wing post keeps it taught and upright leaving you both hands free to wind and finish the hackle.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

.D.

Quote from: gavceltic on January 09, 2009, 11:22:16 AM
................A stacker is something that I havnt used or purchased yet but will need to get one....interesting to see a pen lid used !

You'll need a comb of some sort ( to remove the underfur) as much as you'll need the stacker itself. Those cheap double sided plastic nit combs work as well as anything else.

.D.

.D.

One of those little coffee grinders is pretty handy for blending dubbing.

I'm in the whip finish tool camp - the single-armed Matarelli style ones though.

I like the little doorknob shaped dubbing whirls far more than long-handled ones.

.D.

Go To Front Page