News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Arran Honey Mustard yummy

Started by desmondo, February 13, 2013, 06:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

This was our meal one night on South Uist.

Billy

[attachimg=1]

fergie

Quote from: BARFLY on February 13, 2013, 08:27:38 PM
Fergie, smokers are great things. Since getting mine, I`ve used it lots of times. Don`t be put off by the pish you can read about them, keep it basic and enjoy. :D

I will certainly be keeping it simple for now mate.I got some sawdust with it but the GAC sell it anyway  :D

Part-time

Quote from: borderbob on February 14, 2013, 01:04:49 AM
As ever the most non part time fisher I`ve ever had the company of !
Don't know about that Bob - I can't believe how little I got out last season. Hopefully might meet up for a cast with you this season; give me a shout if you're heading up North or I'm usually down at the inlaws in the borders a few times a year. I'll bring the smoker :)

Quote from: borderbob on February 14, 2013, 01:04:49 AM
I always seem to over smoke, and dont seem to get the flavours of the `ingredient`s !!
Am I expecting too much or not putting enough "Flavouring" in ?
I just use the basic Abu or Snobee wood dust; just oak I think. Only flavouring it a wee touch of salt if I remember it.

As well as fish I find good quality sausages  and burgers do well in the smoker. Needs a couple of extra lotsof meths to make sure their cooked. Some thin venison sausages were excellent

fergie

Roughly how long would a half pound trout take. And sausages im just no sure on times also is the fat in burgers and sausages a problem.?

Wildfisher

As you are hot smoking at pretty high temperatures they take about 10 to 15 minutes max.

Otter Spotter

You get a variety of wood chips for smokers out of Dobbies
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Billy

The last pack I got out was in Asda. Once the barbeque stuff goes on the shelves you should be able to pick it up there. If Christmas and easter stock is anything to go by it should be on the shelves already. :8)

If I remember they had a couple of different wood types and cheaper than some of the other stockists.

Billy

fergie

Wow thats quick.  :shock: For some reason i thought it took ages  :D

13Fisher1

TOO MUCH talk of food (cals) ...... Just kiddin, used to have one of the old ABU smoker tins, fab wish I still had it.

Part-time

Quote from: fergie on February 15, 2013, 09:12:25 AM
Roughly how long would a half pound trout take. And sausages im just no sure on times also is the fat in burgers and sausages a problem.?

I go by number of fills of the meths burner as a guide rather than time. Trial and error and have a look now and again. Shelter makes a difference as well; I always build up stones around the smoker if I can. For meat or anything you want to cook slower and longer you can lower the heat by opening the lid a wee bit. Generally I'd say one fill of the burner does a half pound trout or two, two fills for a pound size trout, burgers or thin sausages and three fills for anything more.

Go To Front Page