News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jammy Bastard

Started by Wildfisher, June 15, 2013, 09:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I couldn't  resist the strawberries on special offer in Tesco the other day and the grower just along the road won't be selling for weeks yet, so I thought I'd have a practice run at making jam. Never done that before.

Here's a step by step on  how to make the most wonderful jam you'll ever taste. Even I can do it

Materials

1KG strawberries chopped up
IKG ordinary granulated sugar (you do not need to use expensive jam sugar)
the juice of 4 medium sized lemons (without the lemon juice it won't set)

Step 1
Chop up the strawberries, place in a plastic bowl

Step 2
add the lemon juice

Step 3
add the sugar

Step 4
mix it all up then cover and stick in the fridge overnight

Step 5
Stick  the whole lot in a large pot, slowly heat stirring to dissolve  the sugar and bring to  the boil then simmer until it reaches the set point – about ½ hour. Test it during the simmer by putting a teaspoonful on a chilled plate every 10 minutes or so. If it runs it's not set (obviously )

Step 6
Take off the heat, allow to cool slightly and stir so all the friut does not sink to the bottom.

Step 7
Place in sterilized jars

Step 8
Allow to cool

Step 9
Pig-out

Step 10
put on 2 stones

:lol:

Tweed

Thanks for that.  My bairns love the strawberry picking and sounds easy enough that I might just be able to supervise the jam production.  Will give it a go.

Wildfisher

Remember not to miss out the overnight fridge stage - apparently that makes a huge difference to the finished flavour. My ex wife used to make jam but she always used jam sugar and missed that stage out. The end product never tasted this good or set as well.

As soon as the local grower is selling I'm making a big batch of strawberry and raspberry to see me over the winter. A taste of summer during the darkest days.

Wildfisher

burnie

We'll be round for tea later.........................................

Harpo

And don't forget the same process with natures bounty in Autumn, brambles

And the cheapest jars if you need to buy any, I have found anywhere are supermarkets value sauces. Picked up some telco value curry sauce for 22p a jar last year, chuck the sauce and put jam in the cleaned jar

Will need to get some straws from the pick yer own soon

Wildfisher

6KG of strawberries, lemon juice and sugar mix are steeping now prior to the next  Grand Bile-Up   :8)

Who needs fishing?  :lol:

haresear

Why no chillis Fred? It's not like you :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'm saving those  for the raspberries Alex  :lol:

Darwin

Y'all just reminded me.  The chilis are red and ready to be turned into jelly.  :)

Go To Front Page