News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smokers, again

Started by Harpo, May 13, 2008, 11:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Well on the basis that i'm never gong to build my own fish smoker, anyone got any ideas on once to buy, had a wee squint on ebay they all seem to look the same for about ?25.00-?45.00 for an Abu one.

any tips on what to look for ?

Cheers

Harpo

Thanks Bob, I do like hot smoked trout so keen to get one, fancy trying some cures as well

Have you tried the smoker for anything else, Mackarel, eel, meat etc?

Cheers

bluezulu

i've used the medium abu for years..you can get them for 25 quid or thereabouts. done me very well and given that i only catch small fish (its a deliberate choice i've made; none of these monster trout for me thanks) its perfectly adequate for loch side and domestic use.  i expect if i ever get to fish more often and ever get any better at catching fish i might want something more substantial to use at home, but i can stick the medium one in my pack and theres nothing quite as good as a smoked fish for lunch

Fishtales

If you have a bar-b-q with a lid you could use that if it is for use at home.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Pearly Invicta

How about one of these?
The barrel is an old Fettercairn hogshead.

I'm planning to replace the firebox (an old 'Little chief' electric smoker) with a brick 'box' so I can use it for hot smoking too.

The flue pipe was scrap from a building site. Proper recycling!

Scotaidh

I use an old biscuit tin with a bit of chicken wire in it as a rack.  I do it on the gas hob in the kitchen.

Harpo

Thanks folks, "food" for thought there

Pearly I see you've taken it to the next level with some cold smoking action, good work.

Think I'll buy me the Abu one for outdoor use

Cheers

Wildfisher

I bought a snowbee smoker (I think) smoker some years ago and it looks identical to that Abu pictured above

haresear

Although I now have a pukka smoker, I've used biscuit tins and even a metal cap from a chimney in the past. They all worked fine.

All you need is a source of heat (a spirit stove or the like), a flat surface to put the sawdust/woodchips on, a piece of mesh/grill to put the fish on and a lid to contain the smoke.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ripple

Quote from: haresear on May 14, 2008, 09:46:30 PM
Although I now have a pukka smoker, I've used biscuit tins and even a metal cap from a chimney in the past. They all worked fine.

All you need is a source of heat (a spirit stove or the like), a flat surface to put the sawdust/woodchips on, a piece of mesh/grill to put the fish on and a lid to contain the smoke.

Alex

Sawdust ? did you mix that with anything else. I am getting a lovely flavour with a dried marinade I saw on an other thread http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17804.msg190113#msg190113  It made sense as the local people use a dry brine to cure tuna, eventually it makes its own liquid. Am well happy with the result.

Go To Front Page