News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smokers, again

Started by Harpo, May 13, 2008, 11:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Christine, I think  it has to be hard wood sawdust, oak or something. I'm guessing  resinous softwood might taint the flavour a bit?

Ripple

Quote from: admin on June 10, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
Christine, I think  it has to be hard wood sawdust, oak or something. I'm guessing  resinous softwood might taint the flavour a bit?

Thanks. think I would be wise and get it sent to me from a reputable seller.

Traditionalist

The best woods in many people's opinion are fruit woods like apple, plum etc.Beech is also popular,  as is oak and hickory.  If you use stuff like pine etc it will give whatever you smoke a very resinous flavour. Some people like it, most don't.

If you add some fresh  Thyme and Rosemary to the marinade you get a very nice delicate flavour.

Also, if you have it, adding some fresh green juniper to your sawdust or chips etc gives a very nice flavour.

They have a lot of stuff here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/279-8837178-6490469?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=smoker+chips&x=0&y=0

TL
MC

Wildfisher

dazdidge

I can send you a few bags of different wood chips if you like? I have some cherry, apple, beech, oak and chestnut. You can mix them with different herbs and spices etc, even different whisky added to the dust will add flavours. If you know a woodcutter get them to keep you some small offcuts of different woods, then you can make the sawdust yourself. Don't use sawdust that has been made by a woodcutter/chainsaw, it contains oil from the chain and isn't too pleasant! Best to get the offcuts and then get stuck in about them with a handsaw.
Most of all, when smoking try lots of different things, change times, quantities of sawdust, heat, herbs etc. Everything you change makes a subtle difference and once you hit upon a combination you like its marvelous. I don't much like freshwater fish, but I really enjoy a piece of oak smoked brown trout with a wee hint of Laphroaig or Lagavulin whisky, not too much mind as they are both pretty peaty/smokey :D :D :D

daz

dazdidge

Depends on what country you're from Jim, but I apologise sincerely as I was talking about Scottish whisky and not Irish whiskey, oops :worried
I am South African remember :crap

daz

dazdidge

Mampoer I would say is a classic one. Castle Lager is the favourite of the nation, although I don't know why as it tastes like pish! Almost as bad as XXXX

A drink that the northeners seem to like is Stroh Rum, it's really nice but at 80% proof it is wicked stuff and I tend to stear clear of it unless my boer cousin is visiting and makes me drink it with him!

daz

Ripple

Thank you very much for all the tips. @ Daz would you just sprinkle the whisky through the wood before using to let it dry out, or just before cooking?  I have a lovely Glenmorangie in the house not sure if I would want to let it evaporate over fish :)

My marinade has been loads of salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, black pepper and lemons, and in the fridge for 24 hours, I used a white fish similar to haddock and cod and it came out tasting like smoked mackerel. and the best part was that the taste was right through the fish. The ones in the shops don't come close.
The fish smoker was a gift and I am so chuffed with it.  Once I am familiar with all the icons I will upload a photo.

Traditionalist

This works well on smoked fish;

http://bbq.about.com/od/fishseafoodrecipes/r/bl80606b.htm

and here are some more;

http://www.ifood.tv/network/whiskey_smoke_marinade/recipes

http://bbq.about.com/cs/fish/a/aa010999.htm

pouring whisky on the wood chips wont make much difference to the flavour, and it can cause problems with the chips catching alight. If you let it dry all the alcohol evaporates anyway.

TL
MC

dazdidge

Yeah just a couple of teaspoons mixed through the chips does the trick, if you let it soak in longer it changes the flavour. I  usually let it soak in and then dry out overnight, but my mate puts the whisky in the chips then uses it straight away. Its all about trying different things out and finding what you like. Heavilly salting the fish before marinading seemingly helps draw the flavour in as well. One of my favourites is to clean and wash the fish, salt it and leave it for a couple of hours. Remove the salt and stuff the fish with Lemongrass and a some ground black pepper, smoke on a low heat with plain old oak chips soaked in a little whisky of your choice.

daz

Go To Front Page