News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Smokers, again

Started by Harpo, May 13, 2008, 11:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripple

Quote from: Mike Connor on June 10, 2012, 11:59:42 PM
This works well on smoked fish;

http://bbq.about.com/od/fishseafoodrecipes/r/bl80606b.htm

and here are some more;

http://www.ifood.tv/network/whiskey_smoke_marinade/recipes

http://bbq.about.com/cs/fish/a/aa010999.htm

pouring whisky on the wood chips wont make much difference to the flavour, and it can cause problems with the chips catching alight. If you let it dry all the alcohol evaporates anyway.

TL
MC

Thanks most helpful those links recommend adding whisky to the marinade rather than to the wood.

Traditionalist

Indeed, that's the best way to do it, but be careful with it, it makes whatever you smoke taste very sweet if you overdo it.

TL
MC

Ripple

Quote from: daz on June 11, 2012, 12:06:37 AM
Yeah just a couple of teaspoons mixed through the chips does the trick, if you let it soak in longer it changes the flavour. I  usually let it soak in and then dry out overnight, but my mate puts the whisky in the chips then uses it straight away. Its all about trying different things out and finding what you like. Heavilly salting the fish before marinading seemingly helps draw the flavour in as well. One of my favourites is to clean and wash the fish, salt it and leave it for a couple of hours. Remove the salt and stuff the fish with Lemongrass and a some ground black pepper, smoke on a low heat with plain old oak chips soaked in a little whisky of your choice.

daz

Will try that too thanks, but a tip from me I am getting a lovely flavour from not rinsing the fish from the marinade ...

dazdidge

Quote from: Ripple on June 11, 2012, 03:43:36 AM
Will try that too thanks, but a tip from me I am getting a lovely flavour from not rinsing the fish from the marinade ...

Sorry, what I meant was not to wash the marinade off, but to not use it at all. But also forgot to say to add a generous know of butter in there as well.

daz

Ripple

Quote from: daz on June 12, 2012, 06:05:19 PM
Sorry, what I meant was not to wash the marinade off, but to not use it at all. But also forgot to say to add a generous know of butter in there as well.

daz
Thanks again, I intend on using it quite often as I love fish. ( in more ways than one )

Bobfly

Hi Folks,

Seeing this posting trail for the first time there a couple of suggestions from my trials with an ABU type box. With the making of your own trial sawdust from a variety of any hardwood lumps try using a coarse tooth wood rasp which will make more sawdust without wasting wood with lots of thin saw cuts. A round backed coarse rasp lets you grind off wood nice and easy. Second suggestion is to sprinkle in some dried juniper berries bashed flat a bit like peppercorns and it just adds a little extra.

A coarse rasp working on oak whisky barrel staves gives lovely stuff and you can get old staves from cooperages. I keep a few that were given to me in a thick poly bag to try and keep in the smell and that sawdust is kept in a screwtop pot .... :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page