News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mending wader seams

Started by Lochan_load, December 07, 2014, 10:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

My scierra waders are still in good nick after 2 seasons but the seams across the knees have started leaking a bit, I reckon if I can do a half decent repair on them I could get another season out of them, can anyone recomend a seam replacement or a glue to gum it up and keep my pins dry? 

Rabmax

I use my homemade flexament for these jobs.Shoe goo thinned with Toluene then a few coats painted along the seam.I would clean the area to be glued with some Toluene on a small piece of old cloth first to remove sweat & dirt.I mix the thinned glue in an old jam jar & place the jam jar in hot water to heat the glue & brush the glue on hot.Do the exposed thread seams on your new wading boots at the same time.Toluene is not good for your health so make sure you were rubber gloves.For bigger holes i tape a little square with electrical tape.I then smear a small blob of shoe goo & create a little patch.A wee bit spit or water to smooth glue helps.Shoe goo is cheaper flexible but not as flexible as Aquasure but good for these type jobs.Cheers

Billy

Just be careful with toluene and heat.

I believe it produces Tri-nitro-toluene i.e TNT.

We had to use it offshore a few times and the Safety folk were all over us.

Billy

Lochan_load

I'll give the shoe goo a bash, I used some uhu power but felt it wasn't thick enough to cover the seem and seal it, where do you buy toluene? I've only seen it online but it's 5litres, fr what I've read I don't want that much kicking about the house!!  :shock:

Rabmax

I just bought 2.5 Litre from here it should last me a few years.I would buy enough glue & do round the other main seams too.It doesn't really take that long to give the seams a coat.Then leave for a day & give another coat.When cleaning the seams with Toluene don't saturate the material with the Toluene.You just want to clean sweat but not enough that the seam starts coming away from your waders.I would think 1 or 11/2 Litres of Toluene & 2 tubes of shoe goo would do your waders & boots.I keep this type of stuff in my garden shed same as an thinners.Also make sure you have tightened the Toluene bottle or it will be evaporated away the next time you want to use it.The shoe goo i have left i put the lid on & stick it in the freezer & it will keep for years.I don't use this mix for the neoprene foot although it might work.I will use Toluene + Aquasure for the feet.I find leaks in the feet  harder to fix & it's probably better sending them to Diver Dave for leaky feet.Cheers

Rabmax

Quote from: Billy on December 08, 2014, 11:24:36 AM
Just be careful with toluene and heat.

I believe it produces Tri-nitro-toluene i.e TNT.

We had to use it offshore a few times and the Safety folk were all over us.

Billy
Thanks for reminding me i work offshore too & leave for Aberdeen tonight. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Go To Front Page