News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading Staff Management Tip

Started by Wildfisher, May 09, 2017, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Some of the rivers I fish are frankly dangerous to wade without a wading staff. Staffs though are a serious pain when actually fishing.  This tip is not rocket science or earth shattering, but it's the best solution I have come up with and it works really well.

First buy one of these net magnets and make sure it's a strong one.

[attachimg=1]

Attach one half of the magnet  to the lanyard of the staff.

[attachimg=2]

Attach the other half of the magnet  to a D loop low down on the side of your fly vest towards the back, well out of your way.

[attachimg=3]

When fishing clip  the staff out of your way – you can let it go without it tangling anything up.

[attachimg=4]

This works really well.

A few things to note:

1. Make sure it's  attached on your left if you cast right handed or visa versa -  this keeps it well out of your way.

2. If you already use a magnetic net release make sure the pole pieces on the vest are the same  polarity. This lets you use both for the same  landing net if you feel like it.

3. Notice how I have prevented all swiveling of both halves of the  magnetic device by rigidly locking them in one plane using very small cable ties. This is really important and with a bit of practice you don't even have to look to lock them together when fishing, the magnets find each other.   I do this with my net set up too. Works a treat!

sagecirca

What's that in the film canister with the holes in it Fred?

Wildfisher

Quote from: sagecirca on May 09, 2017, 07:15:21 PM
What's that in the film canister with the holes in it Fred?

My swim feeder. 

Just kidding  :lol:   When I cut off a fly I stick it in there to dry. Works better for me than a fleece patch. Actually Alex has the best fly drier I have seen, but they don't seem to be available any more.

sagecirca

Haha old school....

Ok Alex, what you got?

Lochan_load

My grandpa use to keep his maggots in something like that....just sayin!

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on May 09, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
My grandpa use to keep his maggots in something like that....just sayin!
he's sussed you out, Fred... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on May 09, 2017, 10:25:17 PM
he's sussed you out, Fred... :lol:

I already said it was a swim feeder!   :lol:

haresear

Quote from: sagecirca on May 09, 2017, 07:24:37 PM
Haha old school....

Ok Alex, what you got?

I got it in Canada and have never managed to find another. I think it was called a Stonefly fly dryer but can't be sure as the writing has worn off.

Good tip on the wading staff Fred. I usually use a folding staff which hangs in a scabbard but will use your idea when fishing some areas which demand a staff to be used constantly
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 09, 2017, 11:24:17 PM
I usually use a folding staff which hangs in a scabbard

That's what I have.

Billy

That's good for you traditional upstream dry fly men :crap not so good for us downstream toe-rags  :D.

Billy

Go To Front Page